SysRestore Pro (GiveAway)

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by clubhouse, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Thanksgiving Giveaway​
    Until Dec 1st

Return system and disk to any healthy status with Snapshots

Create 1000 snapshots - different status of your PC/Server for backup

Restore your crashed system and deleted files from disk in just a few seconds

Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP; Server 2008, 2003,2000 32&64bits compatible

http://www.sysnew.com/sysrestore-pro/

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thank you clubhouse :)

The file shows a release date of Sept. 12, 2012. Apparently an updated version to accomodate Windows 8.

Has anyone tried this latest version yet in regards to stability? Any previous issues improved? I cannot find much about the version, nor does the site state it is "new", but the release date shows Sept. 12.

I sure hope they improved the stability. Nice of them to offer this. Would be great if this has matured a bit.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

How is this app different from Windows own SysRestore?

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I downloaded it installed it. The code worked, but it seems you get some kind of Chinese commercial popup after the reboot. When I click to see what it is it opens internet explorer and wants to download some kind of toolbar (I think, I did not allow it) and changes your start page to searchfunmoods.com. Karspersky Internet Security did not recognize any malware though.. so I guess it is ok.

Sure, the creator wants to earn money, but I think it would be more honest to warn that this giveaway does those things.

*edit*
    Further down this thread it has come to my attention that it is only me who got the commercial popup and toolbar when installing the Pro version. Seems like I made a mistake when uninstalling the free version I mistakenly installed first.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  5. Jim1cor13

I agree 100% sukarof. Thank you for the observations :)

I find something of this nature not necessarily offensive, but 'sneaky', and it turns me off. A simple choice at installation is all that is needed...anything else is forcing something on the end user that has nothing to do with the installed app. I understand it is a way for XIA to make some money, and I am all for that, if it is done in an honest and open fashion. If their sales are off, then maybe they need to explore the problems of *why* and address those issues instead of sneaking a toolbar in, no matter how harmless it is.

Thanks again for the observations. :)

6. Jim1cor13

Hi Tom :)

As far as I am aware, Sysrestore will turn off the windows system restore upon installation, and it is more of a thorough rollback style solution than windows system restore that typically just backs up the system registry and tracks file changes/modifications, but does not offer a clean return or rollback to a previous state. In other words, using windows system restore will leave remnants of files one may or may not want left on their disk.

Sysrestore offers a more complete rollback style restore such as CTM or other system snapshot/ISR style solutions. It is not as flexible as something such as RollbackRX, but is supposed to work in similar fashion.

There is an older thread that goes into more details about sysrestore, including some matters that many found to be troublesome over time and in regards to its stability and performance. I am hoping that some of these issues have been addressed in their latest offering.

7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Thought I read (or heard) somewhere, that with Rollback RX (and maybe with this program too), you can't defrag your HDD. Is that true?

BTW, do these snapshot programs compress the snapshot or is everything just a straight copy?

Do they both require VSS (mine's no longer working properly)?

I currently use Macrium Reflect Pro, so is either one of these really necessary, or does it just take up more HD space?

8. sukarof

@TomAZ
    I Have yet to restore, I´ll probably do that tomorrow to see if it is true that snapshots disappear as described in the other thread. (But maybe that is just for the free version?) Honestly I dont see the point of snapshots if you cant jump back and forth in the snapshots the way you want.

Since the taking of a snapshot only takes a couple of seconds I guess it does not take straight copies of the files but has some own algorithm to compress the changes against the base line. Similar to the tech behind Rollback RX.

I do have Macrium Pro too, but I had to uninstall it cause it caused BSOD when these two software compeeted :) Luckily Macrium preboot option is still there (or atleast I do have the choice in the log in screen when booting to windows 8 ) so I can chose to restore the Macrium image I took prior to installing when I want to.

9. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

I'm sure you're aware but do use the sysrestore uninstaller if you decide to remove it, it gives you the reasons why on the support page (via the link)...Don't use a 3rd party uninstaller....BTW, I didn't get any popups or redirects when I installed this product on XP SP3.

10. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

Does SysRestore Pro modify the MBR (as RollBack Rx does)?

11. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Yes, it does.

When you revert with SysRestore, it deletes all snapshots that were created after the snapshot you reverted to. This is a great drawback.

Moreover, it has some bugs and definitely needs fixes. I'm surprised that there were no new releases since 13 September when current version 3.4 was launched.

12. sukarof

Interesting. I did actually by mistake first install the free version of Sysrestore, not Sysrestore Pro and did not use the sysrestore uninstaller! (wasnt thinking straight there :) )
    I did not have any other problems, but maybe that is why I got the commercials after I installed the Pro version? It simply did not uninstall properly? Make sense to me. Thanks for the info mate! :thumb:

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

That's true. Therefore, Rollback has a special tool to Defrag SnapShots.

14. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I call it a great crap.:thumbd:

15. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

SysRestore Pro

I tried SysRestore Pro, but I did Not like it.

16. sukarof

I guess that is in the free version only, not Pro? I just did a restore. I have done 8 snapshots and reverted to the 4th and all 8 snapshots are still there after reboot.

17. Solarlynx

Yes, it was my feedback about Free version 3.4. I never tried Pro version.

Does any body else tried SysRestore Pro in this respect?

18. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Does it support Solid State Drives? And can I install this after 1 Dec? (provided I saved the setup file and key).

I also asked this through their support email address but no reply yet.

19. Solarlynx

Hmm, I'd like to know the answers as well.

20. t3ster

t3ster Registered Member

Got a reply from 'Jim X' Sysnew Support Team.

- It supports SSD
    - Program must be installed with the provided promotion code on the site before 1 december

21. Solarlynx

Thanx, that's matters.

22. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I don't like it's website, it lacks detailed info, comparison charts, etc...

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thanks I will be getting a seconf hand SSD drive, I have put it on an old XP box, when I was trying to figure out a light an pop-up less setup (did not want to pollute the fresh XP Install. Does the job pretty good, you have to know how to get into more recent snapshots (it defaults to restore the first/oldest snapshot). Besides some lost in translation complications it works as advertised.

24. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

A good forthcoming alternative would be AX64. The program is at alpha stage ATM but the developer is in constant touch with users taking in ideas and suggestions. AX64 is a hybrid of sorts, it is a mixture of IRS/backup features and functionality using very fast incremental backup/restore. I'm really looking forward to the final release:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339999

I also wish Comodo would get on with CTM3. As Solarlynx knows (as a fellow Comodo forums lurker :) ) the new version has been put on hold once again to make space for projects which are deemed more worthy in the eyes of Melih...

25. Solarlynx

IDK any really decent free time machine (snapshot, not imaging) for now.

Kees1958, after "Do IT yourself HIPS all freeware and light" maybe you can offer "DIY free time machine"? :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.