sysrep incompatible

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Frank Butler, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Butler

Frank Butler Registered Member

Hi,

Have just installed XP SP2 on a partition booted via System Commander 7. It is a clean installation with all drivers etc loaded. All updates loaded. Device Manager is clear - no yellow discs.

I wish to take an image while it is new and clean but when I run sysprep.exe it reports 'There is an incompatibility between this tool and the current operating system'. Well done MS - it all came from the same CD!

It always worked fine when I had an early XP with SP1 loaded.

Can anybody suggest the cause of the incompatibilty, please? An image taken without running sysprep will probably not work. An earlier attempt always hung at the 'Welcome' screen.

Many thanks,

Frank

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. Frank Butler

Hi Irena,

Thanks for replying.

Yes, I had already done that. It is still version 2.0 and suffers the same problem.

Frank

4. Acronis Support

Hello Frank,

I'm afraid that we are not eligible to provide you with the support for Microsoft software. I strongly recommend you to contact Microsoft Support Team in order to figure out what is the problem.

However, posting back the results of your investigation will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. Frank Butler

Hi Alexey,

Thank you for your reply.

Although I am forced to use Windows I am not a fan of Microsoft and do not like the terms of their support.

I believe the problem with this incompatibility comes from using System Commander 7 to provide several bootable partitions. This XP is installed on the second partition. I suspect that Sysprep.exe is programmed to look at the first partition which is where you would usually find the C: drive. It would not have been difficult to have written the program to give the user more options. Like I said - I am not a fan of Microsoft.

Many thanks anyway.

Kind regards,

Frank

6. Acronis Support

Hello Frank,

I am afraid we won't be able to help you with the Sysprep because it is not the utility we developed and we are not aware of the problems it may have. However, you may not need the Sysprep at all. Could you please let me know whether you are going to restore the image to the same computer (with the same hardware) or not? If the computer is the same (or identical) you don't need to prepare the system before imaging.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.