SysPrep Needed?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Victor333, Dec 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor333

Victor333 Guest

Hello -
    I am in the IT field and we are planning a rollout of 50 identicaly built XP Workstations (workgroup security). They all have the same User Names and Passwords,
    Administratior and User1... for all machines.
    They of course will have unique computernames and IP addresses -
    and they all have identical specialty programs installed that accesss the network.
    using the above scenario - I am wondering if I should include MS SysPrep
    in our rollout if not will there be implications with SID's, MAC addresses, reg settings?
    --- I have used Norton Ghost in the past for NT and Win 2000, without using sysprep - however co-workers blame any strange behaviour on the ghost.
    Just looking for some clarification

2. Fuzzy John

Fuzzy John Registered Member

Your best approach is to "sysprep" the computer before creating the image you will load in the others. This is exactly the scenario that sysprep was created for.

3. RobB

RobB Registered Member

It will have unpredictable SID implicatons. Use sysprep as suggested or change the computer SID after imaging using NewSID.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/newsid.shtml

I've been using NewSID on a 5,000 client domain for about two months with no noted issues.

Rob B.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.