sysprep necessary?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by laflaone, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laflaone

laflaone Registered Member

just purchased TI 11. i have an ide hd in my computer. i have a new barracuda sata hd ready to install. my goal is to clone to the sata, make it the primary hd, and then use the ide hd as the backup. i have read about microsoft sysprep. is it necessary or desirable to use before i use TI 11 to clone to the new hd? also, after i do the cloning, can i make the new hd drive C, and change the drive designation of the old drive from C to something new?

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You do not need Sysprep to put in a new SATA HD even if the old one was IDE.

After cloning immediately shutdown and disconnect the old IDE drive before the first boot. Since the new drive is an exact copy of the old one, the partition signatures and everything else is the same and it can confuse Windows on boot up. After the first succesful boot you can reconnect the old one if you wish.

3. laflaone

thanks Seekforever. I suppose i should change the jumper on the ide hd to make it a slave? i will only want it to boot when i want to do an incremental or differential backup.

4. seekforever

No, if it is the only drive on the IDE channel it should be master or Cable Select (CS). SATA drives have their own channel/connector and do not utilize master/slave configurations like IDE drives.

If I understand you correctly you want to make the old IDE the drive for storing backups. It doesn't have to be bootable for storing data files. If by bootable you meant you only want it to run when making backups you can set the power management to shut the disk off after various time has passed. It will then spin up when it is accessed.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello laflaone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please have a look at this article about transferring your operating system from IDE to SATA hard drives.

Please also notice that Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage devices drivers. Acronis Universal Restore allows automatic or manual selection of the HAL and mass storage device drivers to fit the target hardware. So, if you would like to save time and skip the process described in the article I have mentioned above you can use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation with conjunction of Acronis Universal Restore.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

When you swap the drives for the first boot after the cloning, you might need to go into the BIOS and rearrange the Boot Up order or which drives are checked for an OS. If you get an "NTLDR not found" message after swapping clones (especial IDE and SATA), that is often the fix that is needed.

7. seekforever

Very true, thanks for pointing it out.

8. laflaone

Seekforever, Marat Setdikov, and Shieber: Thanks for your responses. They were all helpful. Before long I will get up the courage to take the leap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.