Symantec Service Framework Stopped Working

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by uzume, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzume

uzume Registered Member

Hi

I keep getting a pop-up message from MS Windows that "Symantec Service Framework has stopped working and was closed"

Having searched the site, on a thread from last year (which i am now unable to post messages to) someone said:

"An update - it seems as if there is an issue with vista and NIS 2008. Until a fix is released the recommendation is to switch off crimeware protection and identity safe."​

I can't access Norton Internet protection or, it seems, any Symantec program so please will someone advise me on how to turn off identity safe (which I have heard of) and crimeware (which i have never heard of).

many, many thanks for your help.

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Contact Symantec customer support.

Here

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

And then you can take a couple weeks off... or spend ~ 10x the value of the product "debugging" this with their "support" outsourced to India. :rolleyes:

1/ Get Norton Removal Tool, run it and reboot.

2/ Run it again, reboot.

3/ Wipe the remaining leftovers with CCleaner

4/ Now you can reinstall the product or learn from the mistake and install something not broken. If you insist on keeping Norton for some reason, get 2009 at least.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Might want keep Norton simply because it is as good if not a better option than any other option out there. All you probable need to do is remove and reinstall NIS 2008 or upgrade up to NIS 2009. Even a system restore might remedy the problem if you can go back before the problem started. I ran NIS 2008 on Vista Home Premiun with all options turned on for a year with no problems at all so I don't believe that is is an inherent problem with this version. I do have to say that NIS 2009 is a much more refined product.

bigc

5. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Uzume, you might want to go to the Symantec website, and download the trial version of NIS 2009. Install it, and if you have a retail version of NIS 2008, it should find your key and activate NIS 2009 for the remainder of your subscription. I'm not sure if this will work for an OEM installation of NIS 2008, but maybe someone else can comment on that. I'd also make sure I had a copy of my activation key somewhere just in case. NIS 2009 is well worth upgrading from NIS 2008.

6. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi uzume :)

I had that exact same error message with N360 v2 on Vista Home Premium :rolleyes:

Give Up! :'(
    I don't know of anyone with that error message, that has managed to get rid of it for more than a few days :(

Like some of the others have said... Get NIS 09 Instead :D

1/
    Completely Clean Out - NIS 08
    * Uninstall
    ** Norton Removal Tool
    *** Delete Left Over Folders
    **** CCleaner

2/ Download The Trial of NIS 09

* You can use your NIS 08 Product Key to Activate the Trial - NIS 09 to the Full Product - NIS 09 ;)

7. bobsimoneau

bobsimoneau Registered Member

I am having the message "Symantec Service Framework has stopped working" as soon as I hit Send/Recieve in Outlook 2007. I am running Norton Internet 2009. The problem started this morning. I did and uninstall/ NRT/ reinstall and it is still broken. Once you get the message, you can no longer connect to the mail server, and NIS will not restart unless you reboot the computer.

8. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi uzume,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting.

The first step to try to fix this problem is to update to the 2009 version of Norton Internet Security. As long as you have a valid subscription to Norton Internet Security, you are entitled to a free update to the 2009 version.

To update to the 2009 version of Norton Internet Security, using Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher, click on the link below. This will allow you to download the Full Version and your 2008 product key can be used to register it.

Norton Update Center

Once you have installed Norton Internet Security 2009, select "Run LiveUpdate" to check for updates.

Please let me know the outcome and I can assist you further.

Thank you,
    Mike

9. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

I have been using NIS 2009 with the latest updates for about 10 days.....no problems until 2 days ago I get the message
    "Symantec Service Framework has stopped working and was closed"
    .....also when I print I get "Fatal Printing Error" but it finishes printing ok.....I uninstalled NIS2009 and put back Avira Internet Security and all is fine.....I really wanted to keep the USA product, but heck, too many headaches....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.