Symantec On The Lookout For Companies To Acquire

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Pleonasm, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

With $2.7 billion in cash, Symantec may be on the hunt for yet more acquisitions...

2. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Instead of this:

"We have a regular weekly meeting where we discuss the progress on acquisitions,"

I wish it was this:

"We have a regular weekly meeting where we discuss the progress on computer security,"

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Wonder if any nation's anti-trust legislation could help as a counter-weapon? We've seen far too many excellent competitors (and their products) taken over by "Big S" and promptly afterwards given the kiss of death.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What about the "Big G"? If you're going to pick on a large corporation for the practice, pick on them all.

5. Pleonasm

The presence of the topic of acquisitions on the senior management agenda does not imply that the topic of security is absent from that agenda.

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Symantec should acquire Comodo and shut Melih up. Come to think of it, that should be exhilarating :D.

Thanks.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

So Symantec buys Comodo, then Microsoft buys Symantec.:rolleyes:

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

....And then Apple buys Microsoft:p

9. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Ultimately, I WILL BUY EVERYONE...To STOP all these unnecessary acquisitions :D

10. Pleonasm

Perhaps that is exactly the end-in-mind that Melih is seeking to achieve? :)

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

We can dream, we can dream. Apple would never get the CHANCE to buy Microsoft. If they did, I'd be looking outside my window for flames, imps, and frozen snowballs. God help us if they ever did, would you really want Steve "Ironfist" Jobs to be the only real competition in town? Of course I guess the Linux community would be happy, they'd finally have enough mainstream users to call themselves a real alternative, after previous Windows users went screaming to the hills and hugging penguins when Apple took over. Heck, it may even give Opera a chance at becoming a more widely used browser...oh wait, no, I forgot, their marketing department is ran by Marketing 101 dropouts...nevermind.

12. ParadigmShift

Number 342 on the list of priorities.

13. Pleonasm

Symantec invested $880 million in fiscal 2009 for research and development, and maintains Security Response research centers around the globe. Those facts are inconsistent with the hypothesis that enhancements in security technology are a low priority for Symantec.

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Knowing now that Online Armor was for sale, thank God Emsisoft got them and not Symantec.

Perhaps Symantec will buy Iobit.
    -Or-
    Lavasoft.

I sure hope they're not looking to acquire Sandboxie or Returnil.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

It's very likely that if you walked up to a Symantec honcho and mentioned Sandboxie, you'd get a quizzical look. I wouldn't worry about it. Who honestly cares if Symantec DID buy a few of these vendors out? What's the problem? It would make a great product even better. Symantec didn't need Online Armor, their firewall was already fantastic enough. What on earth would they want with Lavasoft? Ad-Aware? That went out with Spybot. If they tossed in an EFFECTIVE sandbox solution like Returnil or Sandboxie, they'd have it made in the shade. Hell, I wouldn't even count Symantec out of making HIPS usable for the first time ever. Melih would fall over and die after eating his "challenge"..which is still hilarious to think that he even dared that.

16. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

My comment was to suggest that Symantec would (as we have seen more than once) not make the product better; more likely- they would make it go away.

17. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The chances are pretty good that if they think they can make more cash off of their acquisitions, it isn't going to go away.

18. zcv

zcv Registered Member

I feel about Symantec as you about Google; I still mourn Sygate, one of the best software firewalls I've ever used and still use on XP backed up by SSM - Sandboxie.

I console myself with the thought that just maybe, Symantec got off the dime and became more than big and mediocre using their acquisitions tech.

19. ParadigmShift

$880 million in R&D, amazing.

I'll have to mention that to my Norton clients. Hopefully, that will take their mind off of my fee involved for removing infections that their almost billion dollar product didn't protect them from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.