Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection - small review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

http://www.symantec.com/business/hosted-endpoint-protection

Hey!

I just had the chance to test this new small business product and decided to share my opinion with you .
    I requested 30 day trial for 10 computers (servers and/or workstations). SHEP supports XP and above - both servers and workstations).

First , the procedure of getting even a trial version for this is big pain in the ***. Although this is fully Symantec product , it is still being sold , marketted and supported by Message Labs (a company recently aquired by Symantec) . You have to fill in a form to Message Labs with details and hope someone contacts you . After 3 attempts to get a trial , I contacted their chat support , then another lady exchanged few emails with me . I had to sign in (in writing) something like a contract on behalf of our company , then scan the document and then return it to the lady. Finally , she forwarded it to someone else to approve my wish to test the product . After waiting for 2.5 business days , at the end I got all the information (access to the web portal , instructions , etc) to be able to test SHEP.

So you receive something like username and you must create a password for accessing 2 different web portals . One of them is for the support , contracts and contacts parts . The other one is for installing and managing the endpoints (technical one).

I really expected a lot but ...
    The portals are in Symantec logo (Symantec cloud) and it seems Symantec will soon take what currently MessageLabs does.

Instalation is simple - you get a Symantec downloader - .exe file and run it or send it via email . During instalation you only fill in the email address that is used to accociate you with your account so that the program knows where to connect then to get config. and updates. But instalation took quite a lot of time.

This is made to be typical business products with just an icon in the system tray and it has absolutely no options to configure (everything about the client is done in-the-cloud from the web portal). Locally one can only change proxy settings , run manual scans or check for updates. That's it.

What was my biggest surprise and disappointment - When you open the minimal interface , even during installation , everywhere there is the Symantec logo and writing that it is Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection . However , when you run a scan , or when there is an alert for malware or attack - it is just plain Norton 2009/2010 . Even the Norton logo and name is there . And it is a confusion - you don't know what it is - is it Symantec or is it Norton .

When you visit the web portal - you'll be able to see that technically this is Norton 2010 (engine 17.:cool: that is cut from functionallity and interface sligtly changed . Unlikely regular Norton 2010 that installs in less than 60 seconds , this one installs in many more minutes.

The processes that run in the background are about 6 (six) unlikely 2 for regular Norton 2010. I don't know why are there so many - didn't investigate.

Despite the fact that by default Download Insight should be there working , I couldn't make it work even with IE.

I am disappointed and wonder why haven't they changed Norton logo to Symantec one . To me this product is real Norton (as it runs Norton 2010 engine) but is poorly made Norton (unlikely the real Norton). It feels like BETA when it comes to the interface.

I wouldn't use this so far . The product's interface is not what it should be , buying it or even requesting a trial is very difficult and it looks like cut Norton . Although we are Symantec partners - my opinion about this is negative . I would prefer Norton or the regular Symantec Endpoint Protection , or something else but not Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection.

If you have tried it or intend to try it yourself , you can share your opinion. Thank you!

2. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Any cloud-scanning component? HTTP scanner? Which version of Sonar?

3. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yes , Download Insight and Insight Network protection (just like in Norton 2010).

SONAR 2 I guess , because it runs engine of Norton 17.

As Norton has no HTTP scanner , this has no HTTP scanner , too. IPS and Safe Web for browser protection.

6. iysha

iysha Registered Member

Hello 3GUSER,

I need manual or detailed user guide for SHEP (Symantec Hosted Endpoint Protection) to learn more abt this product .. but finding it on internet and thro Symantec team was pain .. i need it urgently as i hv an interview scheduled for the same product tomorrow.

If u can send it on my email id mehta_tani at yahoo.com
    Thanks .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  7. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Posting your email adress like that on a public forum invites SPAM ;)

Perhaps better to PM 3GUSER or at least type it down differently like *yourname* at *emaildomain* dot com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.