Symantec false positive cause nightmare to China

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ink, May 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coolbluewater

coolbluewater Registered Member

I don't think anyone responding to the OP is being "pushed to the edge".
    On the contrary.
    It's no secret that piracy runs rampant in many countries; U.S., China, etc... a Google search will turn up many credible sources. Out of those pirated copies of Symantec software and Windows, I'm wondering if the following scenario would hold true: " Hey! I have a BSOD! It's Symantec's fault! Has anyone seen that pirated Windows OS disc to re-install those .dll's? Oh wait.. that disc has the old updater and Windows updates will check for that... anyone seen that cracked WGA disc? I hope *that* works...."
    Was Symantec at fault? Probably. Is Symantec perfect? Not at all, and no software company, or anything for that matter in the human realm is. I'm not defending Symantec; far from it. There was a time when I was only a Windows user and also used to rely on Norton Anti-Virus for security. Those days for me are long gone, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. To those users using legitimate copies of software who were affected, I empathize. But anyone installing software with a EULA also knows there's always an inherent risk.
    This could very well be a "wake-up call" for Chinese authorities to re-evaluate a certain dependency of having Western security apps running on a Western OS. Perhaps this incident could start a ground-swell movement in China towards Linux, or Open Source in general as a result of a certain broken trust level in Symantec and/or Windows. Who knows? Anything's possible.
    Personally, I use Linux and BSD 95% of the time. My use for Windows is for gaming, and that box doesn't get connected to the Internet except for testing purposes. YMMV.

2. ink

ink Registered Member

Private copy of windows is mainly the corporate version or changed by nlite, no need to activate and the symantec antivirus with no license or norton antivirus with phone activation, I had to say that in quality they are to some extent better than the payed one. The only problem to restore is using the console, that seldom people know how to use it regardless they payed or not.

3. ink

ink Registered Member

Some more news from symantec, this afternoon, symantec china has hold a media conferenc to explain this incident, is in chinese.http://www.cnbeta.com/articles/27043.htm also today symantec annouced that it will setup Symantec Security Response Center in China.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Re: Symantec faulse positive cause nightmare to China

Not sure I agree with this. Having a false postitve is relative nomatter the size of the customer base. For example, it shouldn't make much difference if a fp effects 10% of customer base of Symantec or 10% of KAV or NOD. It's still 10% that will be unhappy with a product.

What probably makes more difference is that Symantec's target market is diferent than that of NOD32 or KAV. Symantec's personal editions seem to try to make pretty much all the decisions for the customer whereas KAV and NOD have some user decision making/interaction needed. Because user decision is sometimes needed (and expected by the user) a fp is not usually as big an issue with a KAV or NOD user as it is with a Symantec user. Either way, the customer will not be happy. But a fp with Symantec can lead to more disastrous results.

For me, I would be more upset with an av not detecting a virus than getting an occasional false positive. I have seen many people switch products because their av missed a virus. But an occasional fp, espeically with KAV or NOD is not that big of a deal. Especially NOD where you find out about a fp here on this web site pretty quickly.

5. bearhead001

bearhead001 Registered Member

Re: Symantec faulse positive cause nightmare to China

it is not fair
    why it happens to the XP Simplified Chinese version .
    but luckily,I am not using Norton ,I am using 小红伞(AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic)~~~~

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

I'm not too good at law, but am just wondering...
    does this mean they are attempting to sue and claim compensation/sued
    or
    they have successfully claimed compensation/sued?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.