Symantec corp uses 36k of resources....that's kinda high

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon Phoenix, Oct 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

I knew it was too good to be true, I like the detection but this is kinda high. Should I switch back to AVS? Or Fprot 3.16? I use Firefox, thunderbird rarely get viruses but I want to save as much memory as possible.

Attached Files:

2. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Does it slow your machine down? if not, then there's no problem with it.

AVG Internet Security Suite, AntiVir take almost 40+ MB on my machine but they don't slow down my machine noticeably.

BitDefender takes almost 40+ MB on my machine and it slows my machine down a lot, on-demand scanning even so slow.

avast! takes about 15-30 MB, depends on what is being scanned by its Web Shield and Standard Shield, but avast! doesn't slow down my machine noticeably, avast! is relatively light and fast antivirus for me.

Attached Files:

• mem.png
      mem.png
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

Not much, I thought the number was kinda high but nevermind it then, as long as it works.

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I'm not an antivirus expert/antivirus developer so I don't know technically about how it works.

I think that memory usage mostly depends on "what is being scanned in real time" by an antivirus engine. For instance, I'm using avast! and if I'm not or rarely surf a web site, avast! uses memory about 15-20 MB but when I surf several web sites at the same time, especially with a web site that contains a lot of graphics or a very big files (they're scanned twice by avast! HTTP scanner and some by Standard Shield), avast!'s memory usage would reach almost 30+ MB sometimes but with no noticeable slow down, but a memory usage will go down when I stop surfing.

I personally don't care how much memory an antivirus use, as long as it doesn't slow down my machine.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    There's a few more Symantec related services in there...so it's actually quite a bit higher.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hi ! It is up to you if you want to change your antivirus scanner . F-prot is very good . AVS is free .

Have you tried to restart your computer and check how is your Symantec going on ... I have never used it on my computers and I don't know how much ram it takes but surely it is ligher than other Symantec softwares

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.