Symantec Corp. Antivirus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bigc73542, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Anyone here using this besides me? it really runs light.

Attached Files:

• task.jpg
      task.jpg
      File size:
      52.4 KB
      Views:
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Do you use Symantec Endpoint Prototection 11 or Symantec AV Corp. v10 ?

I am asking you because when I last evauluated SEP 11 , it wasn't that light as you show - but was extremely heavy in my views

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Try there new release they are at RU5 so it pretty light now. plus the scaning boxs have a grid to show things better and few other things that i noticed. but cant remember

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

I tried 4 , didn't know there is 5 released.

5. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

6. romance520

romance520 Registered Member

I do think so too!

Cause the last time when I used it,

it was so heavy,in my mind...

The true is that, Norton antivirus 2010 software, seems to be more light,more

fast...The one who likes Symantec/Norton antivirus software,can try this...

7. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

I've used myself Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.4202.75 [MR4 MP2] and it was indeed light on resources running on my Windows Vista Business SP-2 box with no other security tools running.

I even installed the firewall protion [based on the old Sygate firewall Pro that Symantec bought out back in 2005] and it was still light on resources [about 20MB of RAM in total]. Although, it didn't feel light on CPU usage and I/O on my drive since I noticed too much activity once it updated its virus definitions.

Symantec just released RU5 [a.k.a. MR5] on September 21, 2009 to add Windows 7 compatibility to Endpoint [ MR4 MP2 is not Win7 compatible unless you tweak the installation by installing LU first, reboot your PC and then install SEP] and minor bug fixes.

Because I love to test security applications on my PCs, I uninstalled SEP 11.0.5002.333 [RU5] and installed McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i with Patch 2 [and Antyspyware module 8.7] to see how it runs. With Patch 2, McAfee added Win7 compatibility as well.

I will report back on another thread to let you know how things turned out on these experiments.

Kind regards,

Carlos

8. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i had a bad experence with mcafee enterprise 8.7i. install in vista home pre. sp2 once installed i rebooted almost everything that i put product keys for ask for them again. i had to system restore to fix them,.

SEP RU5 runs light i think. fast at catching virus and spyware.

id pick it over mcafee. but that just my opinion.

9. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've been using Symantec Endpoint Protection for the last six months or so and have to say that I love it. I do feel safe with it and I've found many other AVs heavier on my system. Most importantly, I've never had a single incompatibility problem with it. With almost every other AV I've tried I get programs not starting at start up, slow starts, programs not closing at shutdown. With this, everything just works. I find it hassle-free and unless something comes along to blow the AV world apart, I'll be keeping it.

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Me an my colleagues in our small IT company installed this latest version of SEP 11 (RU5) on a Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista machines today , to give it a second chance . Although we are Symantec resellers , I don't like their corporate antivirus . I can't understand why their (Symantec) home and corporate versions are Sooooo different (+ and -) .

Unlikely their consumer product , this installs in days (I mean very long) . So long that you can fall aspeep waiting for it to finish . Plus , it requires quite a lot of additional stuff present .

Then , the update - separate component of the program - Live Update . Downloaded tons of updates (~40 MB) and it needs quite a lot of time to install them . Plus , it required/recommended (I don't remember) a reboot .

Finally , the server was OK but the Vista machine - sluggish . Pushing standart malware installers at it , reaction (the messages) was somehow slow , reaction somehow clumsy.

I don't like it . Norton 2009/2010 - completely rewritten and rebuilt - fast install (in 60 seconds) , fast update (not so big download , fast to install) , light on resourses . This is what the corporate team at Symantec has to achieve - engineered for speed!

And the price - ... expensive product (here in that part of the world).

Had my bad experience with SEP11 confirmed (again , today)

11. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

mrfargoreed

I currently have Symantec AV Corp. V10 installed; I also have a legitimate copy of Symantec Endpoint Protection but have been hesitant to install it. I have a few questions to ask if I may.

1. Is it possible to run both on my system?
    2. Would I have to uninstall the corporate version prior to installing Endpoint.
    3. If the corporate version has to be uninstalled first can it be uninstalled strictly by Windows Add/Delete programs?

I have used various versions of the corporate version and have been perfectly satisfied with it. And, I have no problems receiving updates.

Any information you may be able to give me will be very much appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

John

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    As an SMB consultant, I had been a reseller of Symantec Corporate Edition since back in version 5. Around version 9 I started looking for better products, as too much was being missed by Sym CE. When version 10 came out..too many clients complained of bogged down systems.

Their management interface is very intuitive, but holy cow the amount of failed push installs of updated program versions required substantial amounts of time doing manual cleaning of client PCs.

After Symantec did the 180 last year with doing a ground up re-writing of their home/consumer version..making it very light, I was hoping that would trickle down into their corp edition products, but based on your post above..not yet huh?

It will always remain popular though for home users, as their "loose licensing (or lack of enforcement)" leads to a lot of people "borrowing" the CD from work to install it on their home PCs.

13. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Symantec Endpoint Protection is using 5.9KB of memory. I've notice CSC is using it on the wife corp laptop but that's the client agent version though. It can be use in home or small office. Works on all servers, workstations, desktops and laptops. I got it on my laptop now very light on resources.

Rising Antivirus 2009 Free just won't update anymore! I'll see how it goes I would like to install it on my enterprise server and the rest of the desktops and laptops. But I'll do that slowly.

Attached Files:

14. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Hey jpcummins!

1 - I don't think you can run both as SEP has replaced the new version of SAV, so they are basically the same thing. SEP has a version of the Sygate firewall included, too.

2 - I would have thought that you would have to uninstall the corporate version first, but I can't be sure as it was just on my laptop when I got it (an old 'friend' seems to have forgotten he lent me one of his work laptops :eek: ). Knowing how fussy SEP is with other security softwares, I would assume that it will ask you to uninstall SAV.

3 - SEP can be uninstalled from Add/Remove Programs, yes - I am running Windows 7 and it seems to work from there.

Hope this helps. If you have an copy of SEP you might as well install it as I'm certain it is the natural replacement for SAV 10.

I, too, have had no update problems or any compatibility issues. My laptop runs smooth as silk with no noticeable slowing down :thumb: .

15. tipstir

Hmm yep there is a firewall + GEB feature for Malware blockage.. See the chart with different features:

Attached Files:

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hey,

As I wrote before, my only gripe with Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11.0.5002.333 is that it access the hard drive way too often, specially when it's updating the virus definitions, that in turn, slows my PC down a bit.

Right after I boot up my PC I can see a lot of HD activity and when I use Sysinternals' Process Explorer to monitor what process[es] is[are] accesing the HD I can see RTVscan.exe as the culprit.

I have no complaints at all regarding RAM usage since I have 2GB of RAM installed on most of my PCs and laptops at home. By the way, SEP 11 only uses about 20MB RAM in total for all its processes including the Firewall part.

The second complaint I might have against SEP 11 is the purposedly lack of support for IPv6 on its firewall. Windows Vista and newer OSes [Windows7] support IPv6 and although is not widely being used yet it will become a standard in the future so I see no reason why Symantec is not supporting that.

Other than all the exposed above, I would recommend SEP 11 to any person seeking for an all around security solution to protect his/her PC/laptop.

By the way, I just ran the UNMANAGED client SEP 11.0, not the one controlled by Endpoint Protection Manager.

Kind regards,

Carlos

17. tipstir

Yes I run it un-managed also.. It's on the enterprise server now I might run it managed? I'll see how it goes here. But as you can see not really using so much services..

Attached Files:

• tpm.jpg
      tpm.jpg
      File size:
      239.8 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.