Symantec Calls its Own Marketing 'Puffery'

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Frank the Perv, Oct 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Waste of time and money, suing for non sense IMO.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

idd - symantec software IS waste of all... :D

4. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Agree.

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Disagree.

6. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

Norton products used to be a waste.of everythi.g. Dont know so much recently as i havent twsted.them and am nowhere near inclined to. But overall, yes thier advertisements are puffery.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

norton in 2009 made a awesome turn around. each year since then they have gone (imo) backwards again. each year i was less fond of the program how it worked and its detections. we used to sell more then 1,000 lic's a year easy if not more and we no longer deal with them due to so many customer issues, complaints, and infections.

8. quanzi_1507

quanzi_1507 Registered Member

Yep, still don't know what the heck hit them in 2009, I remember testing NAV 2009 in its beta form back then and was like "dang this is good", then decided to stick with it until the final was released.

9. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Great and helpful answer. :doubt:

10. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Totally agree.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

can you give some info of infections and complaints from your customers?we find less complaints/issues with norton produts than any others we sell,infections are usually down to end user and not the AV installed,often turned off "because kept blocking a download I wanted"!

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

My 2 cents on Norton: It's wonderful to keep a clean system clean, but not so hot with systems already infected. That being said, I do not prefer it on anything other than a desktop computer because many of my friends (students) are on limited data plans on the go and Norton's increased dependence on cloud technologies combined with sometimes iffy internet access raises several concerns, justified or not :D

(The same applies with a lot of these cloud AVs and even eScan, which managed to eat up a good amount of bandwidth on a 9GB data plan over a month's time)

13. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

All AV/AM use puffery to market their wares.

Symantec are just being honest but it won't stop them doing it still.

Last i checked no one had the mythical silver bullet in that field yet they all market themselves that way.

14. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

There's so much "puffery" that nobody will trust mere claims anyway, but stooping to misrepresent test results*, cheat or slap awards on the product it actually didn't win out of sheer insecurity (usually a pun, but not intended) is far worse.

Some vendors use the test results as their only marketing weapon not necessarily because their product is the best, but because they can't guarantee it will work properly IRL.

* Symantec have done it once, but so have others.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.