Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10 Comments?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Relemar, Jun 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Hello fellow Wilders security users,

Can someone give me some comments, and some info on SAV CE 10? Is it even any good?

I've had it for ages it's Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.1 for XP, just wanting some comments etc etc and reviews maybe. bumpy

Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
  2. Relemar

bump!

3. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

For whatever it is worth I have used this program for a long time. My version is 10.0.1.1000 and I am very satisfied with it. My reasons for using the program is this:

1. I feel very confident in its ability to keep my system secure
    2. As a military retiree I receive the program and all of its updates for free
    3. Every military installation that I have been assigned to uses the program

I understand that there are other programs that are considered as good or better, Nod 32 comes to mind.

I am not computer literate enough to go into any depth regarding its advantages or disadvantages I wish I were. But for my two cents it is a very good program. Hope this helps!

4. Relemar

Thank you, just the answer I was looking for. Glad you was in the military, it's great! Anyway, I get this for free and updates for free too.

So hey, does me :p This is a big improvement from V8 to V10 :p As I used to have SAV CE 8, which sucks.

But this one has a different interface, more options, more features and protection.

This is a great product. Is it called SAV CE 10 or SAV 10? It doesnt say Corporate Edition but its used in school, libraries, companys etc.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

We use SAV 10 at work. The version number is older than the one John uses but it works great. It seems like it picks up more malware than 9 did as we don't have to "clean" workstations as much as we used to.

6. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

The version I have is called Symantec AV Corporate Edition.

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I think he was referring to the version #. ;)

I also use SAV Corp (version 10.1.5.5000) on my server and workstations at the office. Here at the casa I have the same thing loaded on my rig as "unmanaged". By default the updates are only scheduled to run once per week, so you can go to file > schedule updates > schedule > change frequency to daily @ 3PM - now click advanced > change retry task.....to 1-2 hours > perform update within.....to 60 min.

According to AV-test.org and AV-Comparatives Symantec has detection rates that exceed that of NOD32 and tend to rival Kaspersky/Avira. The only drawback is that you typically need to have 5 or more pc's to justify the costs, unless you get it for free from your office, or you can purchase it at a heavily discounted rate (military).

8. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I've put it on my desktop at home to give it a try and so far, so good.

9. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Well I used to trial this on my father's business machines. It was excellent in what it did and was well liked. After I started working for my company which uses VSE 8.5i, we chose to migrate to McAfee's VirusScanEnterprise after trialling that one for a small gain in resource usage. SAV uses a little more RAM than does VSE. Insofar as configurations go, they're both about the same in flexibility and the degree of control they allow although VSE allows a little more in terms of access control.

Overall, if you have access to these enterprise level AV's, you probably can't go wrong because in general, enterprise versions run much lighter on resources than consumer versions do and provide more control, consequently be more secure. Try to search for reviews and comparisons though, and you will see a huge lack of reviews for corporate AV's or firewalls.

10. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

yes there not enough review on enterprise Av but the core engine in them is similar to home version. Enterprise products are much more mature,lighter and has wider compatiblity.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the corporate versions are always liked.
    but the home user products hated.
    why dont they ship the corparate product to home users?
    i still got to say that all the computers i worked with at work exprience had norton corporate AV on them and two of the pc's had there registrys detroyed. so i guess no AV can protect against a high risk or unducated user.
    lodore

12. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It's a little on the heavy side..it's protection from viruses 'n the like are average, but it's protection from malware such as ad and spyware is low...I've replaced many corporate edition setups with other antivirus products (can by my avatar)..and it's immediately started ringing in on infected workstations that Symantec never bothered with. Not to mention run substantially lighter.

I'd been a Symantec reseller for Corp Edition since around version 5...started slowing down and trying other products when verion 9 came out..as it was being eclipsed in detection by other products..especially in the adware department. Then the version 10..which was substantially higher in resource usage...clients complaining how slow their PCs ran after the V10 upgrade...ugh...no more.

Push installs frequently becoming corrupted..resulting in very tedious manual cleaning and reinstall attempts.

13. EliteKiller

I've deployed SAV Corp 10.x at dozens of businesses over the past year. Some of the client pc's only have P3's w/ 256-512MB of memory, and the system response time w/ or w/out the SAV client installed is negligible.

14. Relemar

Well I have SAV version 10.1.6.6000 which I think is the latest. I am really liking it, even though I love to use my Sandboxie and download malware all day and really test these AV's. I've found Kaspersky very strong, but I still prefer Symantec. Symantec is classic, the founder of AV's, well if not they are very well recognized and are a good path to follow.

15. EliteKiller

16. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Can't say that here..several dozen different clients. They even complained to me without my mentioning it. Task manager showed surprising RAM usage when upgraded from v9.whatever. Clean machines..majority are P4/512.

licensing.symantec.com down/screwy for the past 3 days also...I have to infect a machine with Sym Backup Exec that a client insists on using..UGH...been fighting with the sluggish licensing site just to generate the key. Thinking of doubleing my rates for clients who wish to use their products.

17. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Companies tend to target certain products to different audiences. Since the Norton Corporate edition did not protect you, I guess you must be a high risk surfer? ;) :D :eek: :p

I will be upgrading from Norton 8 to Norton 10 next week. Another 40MB of bloat to download and install next week. Can't avoid it since it is a company wide distribution to all work stations. :doubt:

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I always thought that John McAfee created the first AV scanning program and that Peter Norton was the creator of Norton Utilities, which are DOS based programs to manage your PC. McAfee started working in the AV field back in the 1980's while Norton AV was first released in 1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McAfee
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McAfee

McAfee products eventually were sold to Network Associates (which then changed their name back to McAfee later) and Norton products were sold to Symantec.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HAHA.
    well the computers at work Exprience all had symantec corparate installed.
    two of em had registrys completely destroyed.
    i mean you could only just press the start button.
    couldnt open control panel of anything.
    anyway i used to be a highrisk surfer on my old pc.
    spysweeper found over 200 bits of spyware on that pc.
    and i used that pc with that stuff on it to test antivirus programs.
    all of them found at least one trojan LOL:D
    so now im here as a really safe surfer helping people with secuirty setups at wilders.
    so i used to be the classic teenager looking for illlegal software.
    now all my software is paid for and i get laughed at for paying for it.
    lodore

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Sounds like the other programs must not have AT abilities. The scan results
    tend to depend on what patterns that the program is coded for so many may have a lot of "loopholes". When I started using a PC, I looked for all types of free software and shareware. I always avoided buying software, if possible. Most of the programs that I have used fall into two categories - free and free after rebate. :D

BTW, have you ever been to the Gates of Lodore campground just outside of Dinosaur National Monument in Colorado? If you are outside the US, you can ignore the question. :D

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its lucky i live in the UK LOL
    shame there is no rebates in the UK thou.
    lodore

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

No rebates in the UK? Must be a lot of tightwad retail companies over there. LOL Rebates are based on companies hoping for extra business by providing a discount to induce more buyers of the product. It is like that in the car selling business. By making the car sell for less, you will get people to look at and possibly purchase it. There are several auto makers that don't offer rebates and I don't give them a second glance. ;)

Going back to the original post, the version to be downloaded next week is 10.1.5.5010 which is not the latest. So they are already behind in the upgrade. I wondered what ever happened to Version 9? o_O

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nope, no rebates here....ever!

we havnt heard of them, they are our stranger.

'we' in the uk know, that if something is X amount, we can get it cheaper from basically most places in the world.

true fact. :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.