Sylpheed Email Client Issue

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by EASTER.2010, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I am pouring over everything i can find on the net to get this email client to accept Gmail in a POP3 environment of Sylpheed but to no avail.

If anyone at all is familiar with this program i would appreciate NOT LINKS unless they can step for step help to accept my gmail account.

I went into my Gmail account and enabled POP3 as instructed as well as SSL as it demands but all i get is ERROR connection failed message and i'm at my wits end.

Before someone suggests another email client be advised i am specifically settled on Sylpheed and like to get it working.

I'm hitting brick walls on Google with search result articles that don't offer any real steps to configure, so in the meantime i'll mosey over to the Gmail Forums and see if anyone there can offer something that i might be missing here.

Thanks.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Not so difficult to setup:

Incoming:
    Username: your Gmail address
    Password: your Gmail password

Incoming server: pop.gmail.com
    Port: 995
    Enable SSL secure connection

Outgoing:
    Outgoing server: smtp.gmail.com
    Port: 587
    Use outgoing server authentication Login
    Same Username and Password
    Enable secure connection (SSL)
    Enable use TLS/STARTTLS

It's not from Sylpheed, but this should work too, since that email client supports SSL. :)

I hope this helps you further. ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Eldar, thank you very much indeed, I've been trying to configure Outlook and Gmail for ages. With your instructions it just happened, like magic, hopefully it'll work for Easter as well.

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

My pleasure Osaban. ;)
    Same as you, I really hope it will work for EASTER.2010 too.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I'm still getting "connection failed" message for some reason. I entered everything as posted. I'll keep at it, i'm missing something somewhere.

I'm using Sylpheed 2.4.2 if that helps.

Thanks, i'll keep at it.

It says use "secure authentication APOP" in the receive tab and it's checked.

BASIB tab is as it should be (i think), mail address equals FULL email addy, and USER ID = User Name without gmail.com and passy.

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Username should be your full Gmail address.
    Just installed it, so I'm trying it out in case it still doesn't work. :)

BTW You don't need APOP for Gmail, but you need STARTTLS and authentication LOGIN. Also you need to change the incoming and outgoing port.

Till later. ;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  7. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Eureka, it works.
    A bit difficult to setup. :rolleyes: :D

I did send a message through Gmail and received one.

Here's the setup on my system, but it's in Dutch.

General tab
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/sylpheed_alg_1.jpg

Send tab
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/sylpheed_send_2.jpg

SSL tab
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/sylpheed_ssl_3.jpg

Advanced tab
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y239/eldarwyn/Wilders/sylpheed_advanced_4.jpg

Now if this doesn't work then there's something wrong with the Gmail setup for POP3. ;)

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Getting closer, thanks.

EUREKA!! SUCCESS!!

Eldar, many thanks times over again for your assistance in this. It's been a well known excellent Email Client i've kept on the back burner for much too long.

Thanks to your responding and especially the nice detailed screenshots. They were very helpful indeed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  9. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

You're most welcome. ;)
    It seems a nice email client, so it can only get better, since it's updated pretty often. :)
    Glad those screenshots helped you to get it setup.
    Have fun with Sylpheed. :cool:

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

What makes it unique for me is the "filter settings" of rules that let's me run any program remotely via my cellphone no matter how many miles away or any other way sending an email that launches a preferred executable like a security webcam, or sound recorder etc.

Possibilities are many, plus this is a Super-Quick email client compared to others i used before.

Again my thanks.

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Didn't know you could do that, but I haven't had the time yet to dig deeper into it.
    That's a nice feature for a free one. :D
    If your email client works like it should and fills in your need, then that's the one to use. Same here with mine, which is pretty quick too IMO.
    My pleasure to help you solve your problem.
    Take care & till next time perhaps. ;)

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Go into filter settings and choose your preference such as SUBJECT/MESSAGE BODY word.

Name it and then below that choose "executable to run" when email subject or your chosen word in the message body is identified. I choose a .bat file to reboot like rebooter that triggers rebooter.bat (shutdown -r C:\windows\rebooter.bat) or (START C:\windows\program.exe) and even screensaver!

I'm working on initiating a vbs file next. I'm all about total automation remotely without using VNC and other remote programs, and Sylpheed makes the grade.

As long as your PC is on and you're away, you can send yourself an email that will trigger the file you want run remotely, that includes cellphone email or any other desktop/laptop PC.

Pretty convenient.

13. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Indeed, pretty convenient to be able to run a program. :thumb:
    Mine got that too, so it automates certain tasks, together with other features it offers.

Can't help you with writing a program though, not my field of expertise.
    Good luck with it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.