sygate

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by waters, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Can anyone tell me ,do i need advanced rules for bitcomet and if so what and how do i apply them,
    thanks

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

The advanced rules in Sygate Personal Firewall can't be applied to individual applications. The advanced rules in Sygate are used for blocking/allowing IP address ranges, MAC IDs... etc.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi waters,
    There are Advanced system rules which will over-ride all other application rules. But you can set advanced rules per application.

We will first take a quick look at the advanced "Application" rules.

Open Sygate~ Click on "Applications", scroll down and select the application you want to make advanced rules for, then click "Advanced" (example for FF)

Attached Files:

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The "Advanced" rules window will appear, here you can select the ports to be use for outbound(client) or inbound(server).

Attached Files:

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The "Advanced" rules mentioned by "nadirah" are System rules, and will over-ride all other rules. These can be found: open Sygate~ Tools/ Advanced rules.

Attached Files:

6. waters

waters Registered Member

Thanks Stem. I have remote and local tcp and udp.Do i place the port bitcomet uses in all 4.Also i have act as client and server ticked,by making this advanced rule am i more secure or could i just have act as client and server and be the same
    thanks

7. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The "client" rules are for outbound connections. Here you would place the ports that the Application is allowed to connect to. With torrent clients this could be just about any port, as this depends on the settings made by other users. I personally would set the Client ports to 1024-65535 for both TCP and UDP (if the client requires both)
    The "server" rules are for the Inbound connections. Here you need to place the port(s) used in your settings for your torrent clint. These will be the port(s) that other torrent users connect into.

Example:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

SPF's 'Advanced rules' are the same as any rules you can make in a rule based firewall. They have no limit how they can be applied and thus can be applied also to individual applications. The free version has a limit of 20 rulebased rules.
    The SPF interface of building them is clumsy compared to pure rulebased firewalls like kerio 2.1.5 etc. and the logging goes also by a rule number instead of something more comprehensible.
    So it is not much fun/practical using Sygate as a rulebased firewall. But it allows anyways limitless rulebased rules. Sometimes they are needed and it is good to have that feature.

And as Stem told, people mostly set 'Application rules' for server port allowances.
    His picture showed Firefox allowed server access and that should be unticked.
    When no remote ports for outbound connections are specified The whole range is allowed. You can restrict them as was shown in Stem's screenshot.
    Same applies also to local server ports. Putting a value 0 in TCP or UDP field will disable that range in cases when only one of those 2 protocols is needed for the incoming connections.
    That is also one bother SPF has, one has to always untick the server access for most applications :p

EDIT
    Even though Sygate allows remote port restrictions in application rules it does not allow to specify from what local ports that connection is initiated. So it does not have the ability to have as much control as rulebased firewalls, except in those 'Advanced rules' that are not so flexible to use as with rulebased firewalls. Should not be used when running local proxies but other than that it is a quite nice light firewall.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  9. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Yes, I left all default settings given by Sygate , I simply installed to take screenshots for the post.
    So, dont leave the default Sygate rules in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.