sygate warnings

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mr mister, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr mister

mr mister Registered Member

hi,
    i am using sygate personal firewall pro.lately i have been getting a lot of warnings from this firewall telling me that my computer ports are being scanned.
    copied from firewall logs -

Somebody is scanning your computer.
    Your computer's TCP ports:
    135, 5900, 1433, and 445 have been scanned

and again...

Somebody is scanning your computer.
    Your computer's TCP ports:
    139, 1433, 5900, and 135

the firewall then blocks that ip address for 600 seconds automatically.
    is the long outdated, but easy-to-use ,sygate pro capable enough to handle these issues or should i go for a more modern firewall such as zonealarm pro? or maybe you have some other suggestions?
    thank you.

2. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

This was a wonderful firewall. However I moved on. Zone Alarm Pro as it is now configured offers the same kind of protection and also picks up the local proxy something Sygate did not do. It also offers better leak protection & a spyware module. If you are a ZAP hater then Online Armor is a great firewall much better than Sygate. Comodo is also a great firewall but in its current configuration is a bit hard to control for non expert firewall users. PC Tools offers a nice free firewall that works well. Look N Stop is a very light & great firewall also. Sygate is no longer supported while you could probably get at least some support for the others. If you insist on using Sygate then don't concern your self with those alerts, you were protected by Sygate, you can also turn off that 600 second bomb in the Sygate control panel. I personally never have understood why Sygate offered this option. There may have been a valid reason for doing so but even with a 10 minute block a determined hacker could try again later. Sygate was a 2003 firewall The others all are current production. I also would not use Kerio,that firewall was even older than Sygate. Both Sygate & Kerio will not work on Vista all the others are Vista compatible except for Online Armor which will soon be updated for Vista.

3. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Sygate and Kerio 2.15 are still wonderful, lightweight, effective firewalls. Especially if you are using other hips, sandboxing and or execution control.

If your connected directly to the internet without a router, the "Automatically block attackers ip address" feature is damn cool. You can set the delay for 999,999 seconds, it will then completely block that ip for 277 hours.

4. mr mister

thanks for both responses
    is it possible to block the attacker's ip address permanently instead of setting a time limit? and can this be done with sygate, or maybe some other firewall has this feature?

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You can set that up in advanced rules. But you should not be worried about these scans. The firewall works and does its job. It is merely informing you.
    Mrk

6. mr mister

nothing to be concerned about? okay,thank you.:)

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I'm using Sygate on many machines for the past 4-5 years. The best thing to hit the Windows firewall dept. Light, fast, inobtrusive, robust.

I very rarely encountered the port scans, mostly messenger spams. To get rid of the noise, I simply created a few advanced rules. Thus, you get rid of the noise. Port scans are simply annoying but nothing to lose sleep over.

Mrk

8. mr mister

thanks for the help.

9. gobbledog

gobbledog Registered Member

I have tried to find or buy sygate pro for a long time. If you tell the free version you want to buy, it directs to a page that no longer is available. :'(
    How do I obtain the pro version legally?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2008
  10. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

The sygate firewall product was bought out by Symantec. They did not develop that particular firewall product after it was sold to them. As for trying to get a copy of it legally, I guess you will have to direct that question to Symantec. Since it is a discontinued product, don't expect any support from them. It would be the same if you got a copy of Windows 3.11 for Workgroups from Microsoft.

11. jhr76

jhr76 Registered Member

I think it might be available for download at Majorgeeks

12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

This is not something I ever condone under normal circumstances, however as Sygate has been discontinued for so long, I say just rip off a licence key from a torrent or such.

13. Roman5

Roman5 Registered Member

Hi. I've just installed Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.6 build 3408 and really like it so far. Comodo v3 was giving me such headaches, SO MANY alerts and so many program errors that I've never shouted at my computer so much :p So that's uninstalled now and good riddance. I don't care if it's meant to be the numero uno free firewall, it was too complicated and fussy for me.

Since sygate firewall is now obsolete, how important is it to be able to get signature file updates? It doesn't look like I can anymore?

"No IDS Library updates are available. The current IDS Library 5.6.3408 contains Signature Library and Trojan Library "

Don't recall updating signature files for comodo, ( maybe I did? ) only for anti virus programs.

14. Woody777

You probably will not find any additional Signature Updates for this firewall. no they do not seem that important to me at least.

15. Roman5

Roman5 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Woody. So I'm safe to continue with this firewall in your opinion? It really is nicely unobtrusive. All I've had so far is first time alerts on certain programs or the occassional website, which is fine by me. As long as it remembers my allow or block preference that I tick in the box, that's all I want from a firewall. If I have to use another program, I don't want to be learning rules or configuring stuff. I did happen to download pc tools firewall yesterday in case I didn't like sygate, but at the moment, have no wish to install it.

16. Woody777

Yes it will certainly protect you incoming, Outgoing it does not have the leak protection that some of the other firewalls do of current manufacture. It is reasonably easy to configure & can be configured fairly easily. If you check DLL authentication it will have better leak protection. It runs light & is stable. I suspect the build that you have which was a beta by the way was about to be released when Symantic pulled the plug. Its main disadvantage was that if you were running a proxy of some sort when you gave the Proxy application to connect all the other apps running through the proxy were beyond the control of the firewall. This was probably not that important a few years ago when there were fewer proxys being used. Today however a lot of AntiVirus programs do use them. I would therefore be a little careful in granting permissions if you are using a proxy.. Maybe keep the permissions at ask. It certainly works great at networking & Peer to Peer applications & I suspect that this is the reason it remains the choice of a lot of people who can't put up with the intrusiveness of a Modern HIPS type firewall. While they protect very well they also drive people crazy with their questions. They essentially limit the use of computers & may be downright dangerous if a non informed user decides that it would be ok to limit an essential program.

17. ZZZ7

ZZZ7 Registered Member

As stated it is just informing you.

This will close those ports and you can just configure Sygate to close the others under your browser settings.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/wwdc.htm

~Off topic comment removed. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  18. Roman5

Roman5 Registered Member

Hey Woody, I ticked the 'DLL authentication' box. Anything else I need to do?

Also, I've got a problem with my pda/phone ( T Mobile MDA compact 3 ) synching to my Activesync on my pc. Reading up on google, this seems to be a common problem for several others, and it's to do with Sygate. Active sync worked for me again with Sygate disabled ( internet disconnected first of course ). I tried this fix but it doesn't work. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/sygate.mspx

The fix that apparently works is a registry fix in the phone itself.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers\RND IS]
    Name of value to add: MTU
    Type: DWORD
    Data: 1514 (decimal)

Reg Sub Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\USB\FunctionDrivers\RND IS]
    Name of Value to add: MaxOutTransfer
    Type: DWORD
    Data: 1642 (decimal)

Do you know about these things? I'm not sure what reg editor would work, or, if there's another Sygate workaround. I can connect with activesync, ( icon keeps spinning so pc recognises my phone ) but not actually sync.

19. Woody777

I don't really have a PDA Phone. also untick the option which blocks Plug N Play nor do I usually Sync something. So did you tick the option for allowing File Sharing & Plug N Play. I really don't know if that will help but you could try it. Did anyone post an answer to the people who were expressing the same problem? ~Suggestion removed. Stay on topic. - Ron~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2008
  20. Roman5

Roman5 Registered Member

Ok just tried that woody, I unticked the ' Block Universal Plug and Play traffic' but it didn't help my sync. Was a good suggestion though.

Yes, the answer for the others with this problem was to try that registry fix I pasted above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.