sygate scanner ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rita, Jul 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi everyone
    i recently installed sygate scanner and today every little while it starts blinking and i click on it and the security log comes up saying ports are being scanned so i click on the number and do a backtrace and check whois and it tells me aol.what does this mean?aol is currently my internet provider--does this mean anything and if so what
    Thank you
    Rita :doubt:

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Rita

That would just be your firewall blocking unsolicited inbound connection attempts/scans. It is normal to see lots of these and just an indication your firewall is doing what it is supposed to. Nothing to worry about.

Something to keep in mind is that some types of backtracing will involve contact with the IP you are checking and result in your IP potentially showing up in their logs. Not something most users would want or really need to do. If you want to do this backtracing, you are better off to use an online service for this. A couple of such online services: Sam Spade and Network-Tools.

That indicates the IP you did the whois querry on falls within a block belonging to AOL and would be associated to one of their subscribers. It is quite common to see numerous scans from other systems within the same subnet (ISP) as you are on in addition to all the others.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hello crazy m
    thank you so much for the reply i really appreciate it -you have answered all my questions
    many thanks
    Rita

4. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

This is what my ISP said about port scanning:
    Perils on the Internet

Unauthorised intrusions such as viruses, port-scanning, hacking and nuking are very real perils in this Internet age, compromising overall online security for Internet users the world over. For example, the recent wave of computer virus intrusions has infected a large number of computers worldwide in a short space of time, causing much inconvenience and instability to the Internet and your computer system.

5. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey nadirah
    i agree with this statement thanks for sharing it
    Rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.