Sygate questions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by acr1965, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So what happens if you download Sygate Pro? Is there a trial period and then you have to pay Symantec some money? Or does it act like the free version and keep on running? Or does it just switch to the free version?

Also, what's the difference between the free and pro version? I have heard there are some weaknesses in Sygate, could anyone explain if this is true and if there is some way to cover the weaknesses with some other program? I also have SSM so maybe that could do it?

I remember in the Tiny Personal Firewall forum during the period the licenses were being dried up after the CA buyout there was a poster that listed a way to reactivate the trial version by resetting something in the firewall. Funny, it stayed up a long time as CA ignored any posts on that site. Does Sygate Pro have a similar way to reset the trial period (if there still is a trial period)?

Thanks.

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I think the pro version has 30 day trial out. What happens after that I don't know since I never did let the time run out. Propably just stops protecting. I don't think it will change into a free version like Kerio 4 does.

Free and pro are basically same, some security options like intrusion detection are greyed out in the free version interface.

Sygate has the weakness of loosing outgoing application control with Proxomitron type software. If you are not running those it is just fine.
    If you run such software, you can of course stop the applications trying to run with SSM. And when the apps run SPF still logs the connections. PG free would do just as well to get that control and being easier for most users. I am not familiar with the latest pay version of SSM since there is as i have heard also some internet controllling capabilities.

Not going to take any part in any software cracking thing. I would not run any cracked security software on my system as it is against my believes and it is what i believe to be a real moron way to use a puter.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  3. Seishin

Seishin Registered Member

Read the info given in here:

http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/sygate-personal-firewall-pro-review.html

They say not recommended for beginners because: "when Sygate Personal Firewall Pro sends you a message about blocking a particular website or application, the program doesn't provide any detailed information about the process being blocked. Because of this, it's difficult for beginners to make the right decision."

Here's a firewall leak test that will help you to choose a good firewall should you decide choosing a different product:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Kerio 2.1.5 is not included in there; but it's a solid firewall if you have the time and patience to configure it.

Good luck.

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Sygate does not block any websites. There is an option that blocks connections from a port scanning IP in the pro version for a certain time period. And it can be disabled too. Most port scans come from China, since it a new big country to internet with users having a lots of infected machines.

When Sygate shows an alarm in the systray icon, it is just an indicator that you were port scanned, matching the logic built to firewall. No concern for worries. It happens from time to time when not running behind a router. No concern for alarm and you are protected.

Kerio 2.1.5 is a nice firewall, but I doubt it would get any great results for leaktest passing. It is a basic good packet filter firewall only. I run it now as I have been doing quite a long time.
    For leaktests you could add SSM or even humble problem free Processguard free that I am now running. For leaktests you can look other firewalls like Comodo, but they have their own problems.

Remember, XP SP2 firewall is just fine for normal users. No need to get carried out too much in this leaktest frenzy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  5. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

I have always loved Sygate Firewall. I really like its firewall log. The Pro version really offers a lot more features. I have always wondered if they were necessary. The Pro Version does offer DLL authentication. I think with that feature sygate would pass a lot more leak tests.I have always thought that if all the ports were controlled & SSM were in place that this firewall would be secure. Then I think about all the things involved in doing this & am happy I installed Comodo. I do use Proxy servers sometimes & Sygate is just not very secure if you do. I have also used that old Kerio 2.1.5 thingy & I don't think it is any better than Sygate. Yes its easy to use & install but again no support & its really OLD. There are many other firewalls some free that are modern & have at least some level of support. I am not going to fall into the trap of promot ing my favorite firewall of the moment Whichever one your comfortable with by all means use.

6. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

The free version also has DLL authentication, I think it's default setting is off though. The main feature the Pro version has that the free version lacks is IPS (Intrusion Prevention System), a signature based system that inspects all in/out packets looking for suspicious patterns. The signature file is no longer updated of course, but there is a program to update to the final 3055 sig file.

IMO it's still a great firewall as long as you aren't running some kind of proxie software, proxomitron etc.

Not sure what happens when you let the pro version go 30 days, I imagine it probably just disables the pro features at that time?

Sygate.5.5.2710 - Good stable version, not recognized by XP Security Center, Recommended
    Sygate.5.6.3408.Debug.Final - Good stable version, recognized by XP Security Center, Fixed issues from 2808 and 2818, Recommended
    http://www.savefile.com/projects/1045215

If using the Pro version, update the IPS signature file to the final 3055 with red_jacks updater. Shut down Sygate before running.
    http://www.savefile.com/files/267654

All those files were put on savefile by red_jack, former? moderator of Sygate forum. He provides MD5 sums if you want to verify them.
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=7

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.