Sygate Pro problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by 0pium_Dealer, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 0pium_Dealer

0pium_Dealer Registered Member

Hi

I have a new PC with a Gigabite LAN on the motherboard. The problem I'm having is that as soon as Sygate is installed, the LAN stops working.

This is on a new install, using default settings. I have two other PC's connected as a home network, both with Sygate installed, and both running fine using default setting. These are running on regular LAN (100MB)

Before Sygate is installed on the new PC, they can all see each other, share files and printer. With Sygate installed on the new PC, I lose net access instantly. I'm just wondering if this could be a hardware problem.

Has anyone experienced this, and are there any 'fixes'. I'm currently looking for a new firewall to use, currently using the firewall that come with XP. I have just downloaded Outpost to try.

The PC's are running XP Pro and Home, with two on SP2.

Thanks

2. Atangel

Atangel Registered Member

Did you make sure that Network Neighborhood is enabled? Tools Opions > Network Neighborhood

3. 0pium_Dealer

Yes, The Network Neighbourhood is on. I forgot to mentione that all the PC's are connected to a Router, therefore I don't rely on the other PC's to access the net.

This is the reason why I think it may be a hardware related. The fact that as soon as Sygate in installed, I cannot get on line.

4. Atangel

Just to double-check, ther eis only one firewall enabled right now? (Windows FW is disabled, not using Norton Worm guard or some similar?)

There is sometimes an issue with Checksumming on your NIC. Look at your NIC's and disable any checksumming if it is there (check it after a reboot).

Otherwise....

What does your traffic log show? It ought to contain some blocked traffic and some rules associated with it (in case you've put anythig fancy in there beyond basic set up).

5. 0pium_Dealer

This is a new PC with just XP Pro installed, SP2 with latest update. The only other software I have installed, other than the OS is NOD32, I do have a firewall running, Win XP.

Without Sygate, home network and internet work, as soon as Sygate in installed, nothing.

To be honest, I've not had a detailed look at the traffic log mainly because I know from previous installation of Sygate, I expected to be able to have net access as a minimum.

I can't even look at the traffic logs now because it's uninstalled.

ps..now that I've had a good think about it, it may be driver related.... with my other PCs, on a fresh install of Window, the LAN is detected immediately during installation of the OS, with this PC, I had to install drivers before the LAN would work, maybe Sygate is conflicting with the LAN driver..... maybe I just answered my question :doubt: :doubt:

6. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

Hi,
    check Sygate options - security - disable Driver level protection

7. 0pium_Dealer

Tried it, result still the same. I've now installed Outlook on it, I have my home network and net access back.

That's a shame as I'd really like the Sygate Firewall.

I wanted to try LooknStop, but reading some of the post on this forum, it looks difficult to set up and configure...

8. Atangel

You didn't mention if it works in Allow ALL mode....

Did you check for hardware checksumming on your NIC's advanced properties and turn it off?

Anyway, does this help:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2603

9. 0pium_Dealer

Yes, I have tried with Allow All. Thanks for the link Atangel, but it doesn't quite help :mad: With Sygate installed, I had no internet access at all.

As to my post above, that was a typo, it should say I've now installed OutPost Firewall, not Outlook!!!!!!

10. I have the same problem, have everything installed fine, network set up, when sygate is running i can only see which computers are in the same workgroup (MSHome), when i want to access them, i can only access mine, but not the other (everything is shared). When I have a look at the sygate logs i see normal communication runs normally between the pc's (the incoming IP is allowed), when I want to access the other computer it logs it as an intrusion and blocks it... help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.