Sygate pop up requests

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pacifist, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pacifist

pacifist Registered Member

I have decided to give SPF a try.

I followed grc.com's unbinding article and I have not had any problems with previous firewall's that I tried out. With SPF I get 2 pop-ups regarding Netbeui and kernel32. As the general rule goes, block any thing you are not sure of, and that is what I have done.

Is it safe to allow these applications? My computer is a single family PC, i.e. no need for file and printer sharing and such.

Reason I ask is, because I can just remove Netbeui and Client for Microsoft Network, but then my password check block is greyed-out - and that means typing in a password everytime I need to check e-mail or connect to the net.
    Whereas, using Netbeui, Client for Microsoft Network does not disappear, and therefore my password check block is not greyed out.

Should I just block those two applications, and check the message block that I do not want to see this message again (The message stating that the applicatoin has been blocked)?

Lastly, is there a way to have the password check block (The Dial-up and e-mail ones for example) not greyed out, when you disable Client for Microsoft Network? I would gladly remove it, if it were not for the password annoyance.

Thanks for any help

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi pacifist

Always a good rule of thumb to follow ;)

There would be no harm in allowing it, Netbeui will be restricted to your local system and LAN (not routable over the Internet). If you are not file sharing on a LAN, no real need to allow it.

Being a stand alone system at this time, you could block it for now. If you add more systems you could then look at allowing it for the LAN.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.