Sygate Personal Firewall PRO v5.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by north450, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. north450

north450 Registered Member

Would any one know if this is still a reliable firewall for xp pro sp2.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It's fine as long as you don't mind the lack of IDS signatures/updates and the proxy issue. See previous threads for details on both.

3. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Using 5.6 build 3408 on XP Pro SP2 here.
    I find it stable, unobtrusive.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I always seem to go round in circles between sygate>looknstop>kerio 2.15>sygate.If i really thought about it ,i guess i miss sygate more than the others when i havent got it installed.Currently using sygate pro 56.3408The sigs updates are just extra to the firewall protection and doesnt take any of its security away.There is the proxy issue ,but that has never been a problem for me with the pro either.So personally i would say its very reliable and stable,but if you consider leaktests from a firewall important then dont bother with sygate
    ellison

5. subset

subset Registered Member

Sygate Free 5.5 2710 up and running... for how many years now :cool:
    There are still many Sygate users, but of course there is nothing new to talk about since Sygate was slayed by Norton.

If you are concerned about missing latest features (HIPS, IDS...), it's easy to build a second line of defense with apps like:
    a-squared Anti-Malware, EQSecure, ProSecurity, ThreatFire etc.

Maybe I'll try to modify some Vista system files to make Sygate compatible :ninja:

Cheers

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sygate is TEH firewall. The IDS signatures are really nothing important. As a pure firewall, it works great. No slowdowns, no crashes, no eating of memory and cpu, simple and beautiful.
    Mrk

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree, it IS a great firewall. I dismiss the IDS sigs as not very important also. I did see a little cpu usage at an idle when I ran Sygate Pro year ago, but nothing worth worrying about. Very minor... It may have just been an issue with my network adaptor and drivers....

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I have been downloading the entire internet for many years now, playing online, tons of simultaneous connections, never a single problem.
    Mrk

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I have been running the 5.6.3408 version without any issues for several months on a XP SP2 PC. I did notice something that may be a bit odd. One night I left my PC connected (without turning off all access to the firewall) to eat dinner and watch TV. When I came back to the PC, I checked the connection logs and it showed that all inbound and outbound communications were blocked for all of the hours that I was away. I only had an IE browser window still open to the Yahoo main page with nothing else running at the time. It seems like the system closed all communications after a lengthy lack of response on the system? o_O

10. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Yes it is still a reliable firewall, it works great on xp. It is lean, mean and has great logs. It works very well with massive connections, torrenting, etc.

links to various versions:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1030646&postcount=11

11. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

If IDS signatures are important, Blink from eEye is available. I think it is still free for users from USA. It does have its issues the last time I tried it on XP. A few FPs and a bit of a slow down etc.

12. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Theres an option in Sygate to block all traffic when the screensaver activates. This can done globally or per app. A very nice feature.

13. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

In pro

the enable dll authentication + automatically allow known dll's is a nice feature too regarding to some leaktests :ninja:

14. red_jack

red_jack Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.