Sygate Personal Firewall PRO 1137 released

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TAG97, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Sygate Personal Firewall PRO build 1137 is released.

Here is the current list of fixes for SPF PRO 5.0 build 1137:

Fixed SPF not saving settings, unless you have exited SPF prior to shutdown or reboot.

Fixed a problem with "act as server" disabled SPF would still allow local ports.

Fixed a problem on Windows XP that would cause the computer to blue screen if Bridging is enabled.

Fixed a problem that would cause CPU usage to increase on a computer running Norton AV 2002.

Fixed SPF using 100 % CPU in allow all mode when being scanned.

Fixed 100% CPU usage with Windows XP with logging on and off using different user accounts.

Fixed a blue screen after installing SPF and rebooting the computer on Windows NT/2000/XP.

Fixed issue in SPF where local user has ability to run programs as LocalSystem on Windows NT/2000/XP systems

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

hi Tag97!

i don't seem to be experiencing any of those problems mentioned with XP. i am still using the version 4 on my Win98se and the version 5 build 1117 on my XP-Home. Everything seems to be working ok...SPF (free) seems to be making everything ask that i tell it to make ask, and i haven't set any rulesets for it yet, but i'm a bit hesitant to update to the new build quite yet for both pc's since i am not seeing too many questions/answers regarding SPF used behind a router/firewall.

i went through the Forum at Sygate but the few questions asked about a Linksy's router/firewall behind a NAT have not been addressed yet, and i am still in the newbie stage regarding configuring router and software firewall. LOL

i want to update to the new version, but i keep hearing this tiny voice: "if it aint broke don't fix it"

have you heard anything about this new version with regards to compatibility issues for cable users using a hardware router/firewall at all? (i use a D-Link 704)

snap

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Same here, snapdragin: XP Pro and NAV 2002 and never seen any of abovementioned problems.
    I was just wondering why you want to use a hardware and software firewall at the same time?

Regards,

Pieter

4. TAG97

TAG97 Registered Member

Hi Snapdragin:
    No I havn't heard about any compatibility issues. As for upgrading, if it isn't broke don't fix it ;) I have read problems upgrading from version 4 to any version 5. These issues are in the Sygate Forum and Beckys Firewall Forum.
    As for upgrading version 5, I don't think there would be any problems. So if I were you I would Upgrade version 5 and do a lot of research on upgrading version 4.
    Regards
    Tim

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Administrator

Hi Pieter - i use a software firewall along with the hardware firewall because the router's firewall only blocks incoming, it doesn't block outgoing. With the software firewall i can block any outgoing that i don't want communicating to the net, and i can make programs "ask permission" before allowing them to connect, which i do with every program i have installed. With the hardware firewall i have no way of controlling what programs connect to the net from my pc (if there is a way i haven't found it yet).

XP also has an internal firewall but i have that disabled, since my router's firewall takes care of all incoming.....i really get no hits at all showing up in SPF's log, with the exceptions of what i have allowed to connect, mostly the icq ads, though there are quite a few blocks happening between my router and my pc (still haven't figure that out yet).

Tag - i don't seem to have any problems that i am truely aware of with SPF ver 5 (build 1117) on my XP; though since i do not have the Pro version yet a few of the other options are not available to me, so whether i would have problems then if they were available and i enabled them, i am not sure,....i guess i would have to purchase the PRO version of SPF to find that out. i am still thinking that over since it is really only the out-going protection i need and i am not sure yet what the PRO version would be offering me in that respect that i don't have already with the free version? The only strange thing i found was in the Options-->Network Neighbourhood--->Network Interface, it keeps hopping back to the Unibrain 1394 Firenet Adapter #2 - Packet Scheduler Miniport, which is disabled here (it has to do with my soundcard). But everything's working so i'll just leave it like it is because i have no plans of setting up a connection between my pc's.

i have read the threads at Becky's about the uninstall and reinstall.....it seems most problems with the upgrade from 4 to 5 happens when someone does an over-install with the ver 5 without uninstalling the ver 4 first, then doing a clean install with the ver 5. i might try it later when i feel a bit more confident about backing up...LOL! i just don't trust the stability of my Win98se enough to do it quite yet. ;)

snap

6. Open Source

Open Source Guest

Can any one here direct me to a UN bias side by side fully up to date comparison of Kerio Personal Firewall,Sygate Personal Firewall, as will as a recommendation to an affordable hardware firewall?

Id much alprechiate your help here thank you in advance.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

With respect to hardware firewalls:
    It might be a good idea to read first the introduction to routers, see here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=1031

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.