Sygate Free 5.0 Configuration.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Comp01, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Ok, I am wondering, if this will work, so far, I am using Sygate as a application based firewall, and only have 3 advanced rules (2 are blocks for a program, but only on port 80TCP, and another port), I have all ICMP Blocked, And Am wondering if this is a OK configuration?

2. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

Oh, and one other thing, I disabled 'act as server' on all my programs, and the ones that are blocked, I disabled everything rom advanced ('Act as server' 'act as client' *edit* or rather when screesaver is on, I have most apps on block, through applications>advanced, Since I dont use a screensaver, and when My computer is in power-saving, its usually completly disconnected from any network)

3. manythanks

manythanks Guest

Hi Comp01,

You seem to have a few threads going on about SPF which is fine, your config should work and asking a load of questions is a good way to get the knowledge you need but maybe you should direct the questions at the Sygate forum, I notice that you have have few questions in it already so your of to great start, I am slowly getting to know Sygate myself and all I can say is good luck and also try KING'S site.

Thanks

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Comp01

While other users can suggest general guidelines and rules for firewalls, individual configurations are just that - something unique to you, your needs and your system(s). What may be OK or required for my setup, may not be appropriate for yours, and vice versa. The simplest rule of thumb is to only allow what you know is required and safe to provide the functionality you require and expect.

That is generally a good thing to do. This is not something most user will want or need to allow.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.