Sygate Firewall questions...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Uroboros, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

Recently reinstalled Sygate 5.5 Pro. Haven't used it since it was announced that Norton bought out Sygate; but I'd forgotten how much I liked it.

Anyhow I have 3 questions

I happen to be behind a router which also has a hardware firewall. I was wondering if there is any rules I should set up that will not hamper whatever communications are needed between my computer and the router. Something along the lines of the forum sticky regarding LnS and routers.

What's the last Pro version out there worth installing? Right now I'm running 5.5 Build 2710. Is there a later version I should consider and just leave things as they are?

Finally what applications definitely need to have server access allowed. Figure that list is shorter then the other list :)

TIA

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You shouldn't need anything special for the router in Sygate. If something does arise you will get a popup from Sygate or see it in the logs no doubt.

The last "official" Pro version was 5.5.2710. That one is fine. There are subsequent beta builds floating around, but I would stick with the one you have now.

As far as "server" access, most likely you don't need it for any app. It's not necessary and should be turned off for all apps except those that specifically need to accept inbound connections, such as p2p programs and so on. Otherwise, 99% of your apps don't need it.

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I am using Sygate PF (free): version 5.6 build 2808

Gerard

4. Uroboros

Uroboros Registered Member

Great. Thanks for the info.

5. canadian

canadian Registered Member

The last "official" Pro version was 5.5.3055 build 2710. The one you're using is one of the beta builds floating around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.