Sygate discontinued!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nish, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nish

nish Registered Member

I got this laptop a few years ago and upon research found Sygate to be the best software Firewall that I tested.

However I have just found out that it is no longer :(

I am still using it on my current machine but will be getting a new laptop soon.

What firewalls do you recommend?

Or where can I look to compare the best on the market today?

Cheers ears

Nish
    x

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Keep it if it works. Some people(me included) still use Kerio 2.1.5 which is at least 4-5 years old with no updates. The only problem with sygate is the proxy issue. As long as you do not have a proxy, it is protecting you fine.

Alphalutra1

3. nish

nish Registered Member

But isnt it better to have the latest firewall when possible? As they will have more updated security features?

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

All a true firewall does is filter packets. The rules for its filtering are either defined by the user (aka rule based firewalls) or defined by popups which the program automatically translates into internal rules that the user may or may not be able to edit. These rules are based on internet protocols. So a rule that blocks port 138 in one firewall will do the same in an old firewall that can do the same thing.

I still run on one of my computers kerio 2.1.5, which the last development was in either 2001 or 2000. It is a great firewall, strong, sturdy, reliable, and well tested to fufill its role. Since a firewall is more of a proactive solution that doesn't depend on definitions, than it doesn't matter when it is updated except for critical security flaws in the way it handles a packet which can cause it to be bypassed.

In short and brief terms, you are perfectly all right ;)

Alphalutra1

5. nish

nish Registered Member

Ah I see

6. rafael

rafael Registered Member

The free zone alarm seems to be a good altenative. It gets updated for free on regular basis. Please check download.com or snapfiles.com on the ratings given by users.

If you have the money, I would recommend zone alarm pro. Add a router to your system and download either free AVG or Free Avast anti-virus and some free anti-spywares being used by members of this forum and you will be in pretty good shape.

By the way, Sygate is now owned by Symantec/Norton.

7. SecDev

SecDev Registered Member

Sorry to hear that. While Sygate never seemed to get the whole drift behind ease of use it did the job of a firewall and was a notch above most "firewalls" imho, and for the most part I've even gotten alot of older people to be able to use it as a firewall. It's sad to hear that it's been sucked up by ~Snip~ Offensive phrase removed - Ron Symantec.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2006
  8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Yup Sygate was and is one of the best firewalls available. No need to dump it because Big Brother ate the company. Just like good ole Kerio 2.1.5, it can continue to serve your needs easily until 2010 or so.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.