Sygate and Netbeui help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Queks, Sep 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queks

Queks Guest

Hi all, please help me with the following question:

I am running Windows98 with a DSL connection. Using the unbinding instructions from grc.com I have unbound Netbios from TCP/IP by binding all network services for my local network to netbeui.
    However as the network adapter serves a dual purpose to connect to DSL and sometimes to other machines on the home network, Sygate PF lists all incoming traffic as going through netbeui first.

So my question: Is it a security risk to have netbeui bound to the same network adapter that you use for DSL internet access?

Thanks for your help.

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Queks

As long as file sharing is bound to NetBEUI and not TCP/IP you should be fine if the unbinding route is the way you want to go.

You mention a home network, are you behind a router/ICS? If so, this will afford basic protection to the LAN systems and file sharing without the need to introduce another protocol. Your firewall can also be easily configured to control NetBIOS.

Regards,

CrazyM

3. Queks

Queks Guest

Hi CrazyM,

thank you for the reply. I guess my words were a little confusing...:).

My setup is that I have one network adapter in my system. I am using the unbinding instructions from grc.com. You have to bind NetBEUI as an anchor for the MS network services to something, so I bind it to the single network adapter that I have in my system, the one that is used for DSL, too. As far as I understand the instructions, this is what you are supposed to do.

Can NetBEUI now be accessed over the internet?

Yes, all network services are only bound to NetBEUI. Are they safe now or accessible via the internet due to the binding to the same network adapter that is used for DSL? And btw, is there another route to go?

I am running Sygate PF as a local firewall. The fact that makes me worried is, that if, let's say I have an incoming connection of 50kb/s, sygate lists 50kb/s as blocked for netbeui and another 50 kb/s coming through. Is this an issue of Sygate or a proof of the fact that NetBEUI can be accessed through the net.

Sorry for my repeated questions...but please bring up some light for a worried user. :)

Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.