sygate 5.6 (free)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bearklan, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bearklan

bearklan Registered Member

Hello everyone, I am new to ever having any problems with my spf until yesterday. I keep getting smc.exe has generated errors and will be shut down. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall. Ran ad-aware, disc defrag, ccleaner, avg. ( did have trojan horse downloader.generic7.z) I thought it was healed. (gone) I can not even get it to open through programs (manually) once in a great while it will open but then it freezes.

I am thinking maybe this is because expiration on freeware or trial. I have been using for at least 2-3 years maybe more. If so can anyone suggest a free firewall that is similiar and would be compatible with my system.
    (windows 2k,cc cleaner, avg virus, frostwire, reg cleaner, and internet explorer 6.0 searchbar. I have a Sprint wireless card.

I do not know if this is related I am iunable to retrieve my automatic updates from windows microsoft and I have been able for years and now I cannot get them.

P. S
    Thanks for the help, i will be researching the highjack disc logs, i will be up all night, learning how to use highjack disc, reading and searching.

2. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Hi bearklan,

Sounds like you might have a malware problem. I can't help you there.

If you decide to try another firewall, give Comodo 2.4 a shot.
    A solid and reliable free product, with inbound/outbound protection.

Comodo maintains that version on its website downloads, for those
    needing a Win2K solution. (I've only it run on XP myself).

http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com/download_firewall.html

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

You could try another version of Sygate Free (5.5 for instance). You could try Kerio 2.1.5 too, if you want a light free firewall :)

5. bearklan

bearklan Registered Member

Thanks to all!! I have been hearing so much about comodo, so after having it suggested here, I decided to try. So far so good.Easy to understand. Even my updates work again ( have no idea what that was about) Thanks again.
    I will be around!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.