Switching from Windows XP He to XP Pro

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by georgos, Nov 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgos

georgos Registered Member

Hello,
    will I be able to use my Image /Back up [ATI V 7.0, Build 582] on my second HDD [set as slave], done with XP Home , after switching to XP Pro ?

In other words, will I be able to recover my Image to my first HDD [set as master] but now running the new OS [XP Pro] on it?
    Thx for Your advice.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

If you recover your image containing XP home to the current drive containing XPpro, you'll end up back with XP Home - which at least will prove that TI is working as it should.

Maybe this is not what you're trying to do?

Colin

3. georgos

Thank you bodgy,

you're right, that's not what i want !
    I suppose i'll have to find another way to get my files working with the new OS.

Thank you anyway for your hint.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What you can do, is to mount your image and copy your data files/pictures etc on to XPpro, also if you know how, you'd be able to import your emails. Your problem will be actual programs, these would need to be re-installed.

Any program that you might have that doesn't use the Windows registry (which will be few), could also be copied across.

If you are wanting to have an XPpro setup on drive 1 and XP Home on drive 2, and then be able to boot into either, then this would be possible either by using a boot selector or having a fiddle with boot.ini on drive 1.

Colin

Colin

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

What are you trying to achieve here? It sounds as if you want to be able to bounce around between XP and Pro?

If you are simply migrating from XP to Pro then all you really need to do is backup you own data files to a DVD or CD what ever. Then (holding your ATI XP Images in reserve in case you need to retreat to XP) simply install Pro, ATI and any other software you need, restore your data and see if everything works.

Then if it does, take new ATI backups for Pro and forget XP....

bon chance;)

6. georgos

Hi Escalador,

no bouncing around between XP and Pro, I just wanted to keep my files.
    It seems I ought to follow your advice and back up...

Thanks to the both of you for you suggestions.

Georg Thumbs up

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.