Switch VPN after a year?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I've been using a VPN for the past year and really like the service. I typically stick to one or two different servers. Now that my contract is up, should I renew if I like the service or is it prudent to go with another provider?

I don't do anything sketchy, but I do value my security and privacy, hence the reason I am considering switching to a different provider with different servers and IP addresses.

Thoughts?

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

If you are happy with the service and its been good that is worth something. I would hope you could get some new IP's once and awhile. Have you contacted your VPN provider? Maybe letting your account expire and then starting a new account with the same VPN provider would net you some new IP's. You didn't mention who (and that may be private for you), but how many IP's are we talking about? In my case with Air I have full access to over 40 servers in many countries so I could be "anyone" on a given day. That is not how I surf and like you I'll keep my handling of surfing private.

If your VPN provider is large and uses G bit servers you can share them with over a 100 users simultaneously. You still get great speeds and isolating your individual traffic would be quite a task.

If you have been using only one or two servers why not just stop using them and start using some of the others they offer. Just asking?

3. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm using iVPN.net right now. They have 2 U.S. servers, 1 Netherlands, 1 France, and 1 UK. And then they have 6 multi-hop servers that use a combo of those servers I listed. I would definitely appreciate more servers to choose from. They are super fast and have excellent service, but for $100/year, I'm wondering if I should switch it up a bit and check out privateinternetaccess.com. More servers and supposedly fast as well, all for $40/year. Plus, both companies have roughly the same privacy policies -- little to no logs.

4. box750

box750 Registered Member

Maybe you should consider where each company HQ are located too.

If you have found something that works for you, unless prices become non affordable, I might be best to stay with them.

5. Stifflersmom

Stifflersmom Registered Member

IVPN.net claims to be based out of Malta and subject to their laws. They also claim that they would shut down and relocate before agreeing to secretly monitor user communications.

Privateinternetaccess is based out of the U.S. and as far as I can tell do not state what they would do if the U.S. government requested they monitor users communications.

I would think a major factor would also be how many users each service has. The more users they have assigned to the same IP address, the better it is for the users.

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I want to start using a VPN in the future, but have not yet selected a VPN.

Privateinternetaccess looks so attractive. About half the cost of many other VPN's and "5 devices simultaneously" allowed. It scares me that you get so much for so little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.