Switch from dial-up to WiFi, Thunderbird won't connect

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bernadine, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernadine

Bernadine Registered Member

Hi,

I am switching from dial-up to WiFi in my apartment complex. Thunderbird works fine with dial-up, but won't connect with WiFi. WiFi connection is OK, Firefox works. I do have gmail, but I want to use Thunderbird with it.

I think there must be some settings in Thunderbird that need to be changed, but I don't know what or where they would be. I contacted the Mozilla Thunderbird forum, but they don't seem to answer questions. When I submitted my question, there was a link to another similar question, which seemed clear to me, but the answer was strange. I searched through 28 pages of answers, but couldn't find any real reply to that question, which was originally submitted 4 months ago. I have little hope they will answer my query.

Could you please help me, and use simple pain English because I get confused easily. :doubt:

Thanks,

Bernadine

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi Bernadine,

Can you check by making the connection wired (place a cable from the PC network card to the modem/router) to see if that works.

- Stem

3. Bernadine

Hi Stem,

The router is in a storage closet somewhere in the apartment complex, and I have no access to it. I thought I saw somewhere that the settings in Thunderbird have to be changed to recognize the different internet access. But I don't know where I saw that or how to do it.

I wish the forum at Thunderbird would answer, but that doesn't seem likely now.

Thanks,

Bernadine

4. Basic

Basic Registered Member

5. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have Thunderbird setup (but not on Wifi). The only network settings are for if you are using a proxy.

Have a look at the link posted by Basic above and check that your e-mail settings are correct. If that does not help, we will need to look at what firewall you have installed and see if that is blocking connections.

- Stem

6. Bernadine

I have the accounts set up in Thunderbird as I need them. They work fine with dial-up, there is no other differences between the dial-up and the WiFi except that Thunderbird does not know to look for WiFi instead of the dial-up connection. I don't know how to make Thunderbird look for WiFi instead of dial-up. Can anyone help me change what Thunderbird looks for when it want to connect to get/send mail?

Thank you,

Bernadine

7. Shelty

Shelty Registered Member

Try under Tools>Options>Advanced>Network & Disk Space. Click the connection button. Check "Direct connection to internet"

Edit: What AV are you using? Some of them use a proxy that might need to be entered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.