Swedish intelligence service want instant access to data and telephone traffic

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by SweX, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

http://sverigesradio.se/sida/artikel.aspx?programid=2054&artikel=5708387

2. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

And so the worldwide intrusion creeps along unfortunately. I wonder what happened to leaving your citizens alone until one or more of them actually caused a problem? It's so unnecessary and so wasteful of time and funding. These so-called prevention tactics in reality just bog down these agencies and further complicate actual crime fighting in my opinion. The best way to fight criminal activity and prevent attacks is to get the public on your side. You can't do that very well if you consider the public future criminals and watch them all. To hear these agencies talk, you'd be forgiven for believing that the Internet is an impenetrable force field and that criminals using encryption are untouchable wizards. As the Silk Road and other take downs have shown, that's far from true. Get back to basics, there is much more success to be had.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I wonder how this will affect CounterMail.

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Most of all the VPN services. Is there even a point of buying one in Sweden anymore? I still didnt buy Mullvad but given these revelations I might not since sweden is part of the "9-eyes" and now this.

5. Countermail

Countermail Registered Member

This will only affect Internetproviders and Mobilenetwork providers in Sweden. OpenVPN/PGP with 2048 bit or larger keys, will still protect the data.
    PPTP should be avoided.

6. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

I do not like these developments at all. I had considered Sweden for a potential email provider. I am going to have to seriously rethink my position on this. I believe we are entering into a day in age that email providers may need to be willing to pull up stakes and re-incorporate in other countries if laws like this continue to pass.

7. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Afaik the only thing that's new is that SÄPO now wants direct access to the traffic within the country, but traffic going in/out of the country is already being monitored by the FRA, so nothing has changed to the worse if you will from your point since you don't live in Sweden. That's Afaik :)

8. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

If you ask me, there is no safe country anywhere in the world... And even if a certain country looks good today from a privacy perspective, tomorrow this could change without any notice. I'm starting to believe that our risk management model should always include government agency spying as a permanent threat, irrespective of the country.

9. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

Agree!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.