Swapping XP hard drive into Vista computer.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jlanpheer, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlanpheer

jlanpheer Registered Member

Background:
    I successfully used Acronis True Image to replace my system drive. However, i found that my old computer had a REALLY old version of RAM, so i decided to upgrade my motherboard and swap my new hard drive into it. It turned out to be cheapest option to buy a new PC (a single hard drive which runs Vista), swap out the hard drive, DVD and sound card with mine from my old PC (which runs XP). I have done a backup of my system disk from my old PC to an external USB hard drive and have a bootable rescue disk via Acronis.

So, i installed the old system drive (with XP on it) from the old PC into the new PC (replacing the new system drive with Vista) and attempted to boot the computer. At this point, i realize that the system disk that i've swapped in, needs some serious driver updates for the new motherboard, etc. However, the new computer did NOT come with a CD of drivers or an Vista disc or anything (meaning i'd have to get these off the web somehow). I was prompted with a screen saying that the computer has detected that hardware/software changes have been made since the last time and it gave me a bunch of options: Start in Safe Mode, Use last known good configuration, Start Windows normally, etc. I've tried ALL of them and none of them allow me to boot into Windows XP. The computer TRIES to boot, but merely returns me to the same menu.

My question is, can i use Acronis to get me out of this pickle? Like i said, i've got a bootable CD and an image of the system drive on a separate USB drive. Will doing a restore do ANYTHING for me though? What i would 'restore' would merely replace what is already there. My newly-swapped-in hard drive is good integrity-wise and doesn't need to be 'recovered' per se, i really just need to get into XP and update my system drivers.

Can i use Acronis True Image to solve my problem? I realize my question may have a "non-Acronis" answer and i'm open to that, i'm just STUCK. Any advice appreciated.
    thanx,
    jim.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you have an XP installation CD, run the "Upgrade in place" reinstallation to pick up all the new hardware and allow installing drivers if Windows XP doesn't have them. Google the phrase for instructions.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jlanpheer,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Acronis solution for transferring of a system to different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image and in your case we would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the Acronis True Image Echo Workstation User's Guide.

We recommend you to download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image Echo Workstation to see how the software works on your computer. With the trial version of the product you will be able to fully use the Windows version for 15 days. The bootable rescue media will be limited to restore function.

Please also be aware that the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore is not available on Acronis web site. In order to obtain the trial version of Acronis Universal Restore please contact Acronis Support Team. Explain your wish to obtain the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore and provide your personal information (full name; phone number along with the area code; company name, if any) along with the link to this thread. We'll provide you with the free trial version of Acronis Universal Restore as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.