Swap file = FAT32

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Vic the Trader, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vic the Trader

Vic the Trader Registered Member

I am trying to increase the size of my NTFS partition from 200 GB to 600 GB. Right now I have a smaller FAT32 partition at about 7 GB which I'm assuming is my swap file. With the increase of the NTFS from 200 GB to 600 GB, should I also increase my FAT32 partition?

Also, for the swap file am I able to use something other than FAT32?

2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vic:

The 7 GB partition may be an OEM recovery partition. Are you sure that it is used for the Windows paging file? Look in Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Advanced >Virtual Memory > Change to see a list of all paging files on your disk. (This path is for Windows XP). For Vista it is Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > ...

Does your FAT32 partition have a drive letter? Does it appear in the list of paging files?

If not, it's probably a recovery partition. What brand of PC? Is it a laptop?

If it is an OEM recovery partition then you should not resize it. Just leave it as-is.

3. Vic the Trader

I built the PC with individual parts off of newegg.

I believe it is indeed the recovery partition. Is it beneficial at all to upgrade it to NTFS or would I be better off leaving it as is?

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vic:

Usually recovery partitions are installed by manufacturers like Dell, Lenovo, HP, etc. If you built the PC yourself then you must have created this partition also. True?

If it's a partition that you created, what is in it? If you're using it just for storing files or as a Windows paging file partition then yes, NTFS would be a better choice since it is a more robust file system. If it is truly a manufacturer's recovery partition then it should remain as FAT32 because the recovery method may depend on having this format.

5. Vic the Trader

6. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Vic:

Usually hard disks are blank when purchased. OEM just means "Original Equipment Manufacturer". In the context here, an OEM recovery partition is one that is put there by the original manufacturer of the PC. I doubt you have one.

What is in this partition? Can you see files and folders in it? What are they?

7. Vic the Trader

Sorry I didn't answer your original questions. Let me go ahead and look that stuff up.

The FAT32 partition is labeled under Disk 2, as disk G.

And when I look at the virtual memory under performance options, it says the total paging file size for all devices is 2046 MB.

Windows XP, btw.

And now to admit, after feeling foolish, looking at what's in disk G in Acronis Disk Director, it's simply my flash drive.

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Mystery solved! You had me wondering why Western Digital would have shipped you a brand new hard drive with a partition and files on it. That explains things...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.