svchost.exe rules for Kerio 2.15?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by MushfiQ, Feb 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Greetings! I am currently trying Kerio 2.15 using Blitz advanced default replacement rules. Everything working fine so far. Just a lil issue which is bother me that is svchost ( Generic Host Process for win 32 services). Reading the forums what i understood that is necessary for some reason to allow it in XP. What would be the exact rules for svchost for both Tcp/Udp & remote ports ? Would reallly appriciate that...Cheers :)

MushfiQ

2. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The most common prompts (and required network connections) you are likely to see from svchost.exe will be for DNS querries and DHCP. With your Kerio rules these are likely covered off with system rules (any application) near the top of your rule set.

You can see multiple instances of svchost.exe running, each being responsible for a group of services. Some you will not want to permit connections from/to.

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP

Regards,

CrazyM

3. MushfiQ

Thx Ceazy for the quick repsonse.....i am bit on learning curve...so still understanding the ports. Usually it promts for an outboun connection from >>time.windows.com & from the protocol at time Tcp/Udp....do u think i should allow? The port was i guess 123..was thinking if there is any necessary ports for such? Thx again :cool:

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you want to make use of the Windows Time service then you can allow this (UDP, direction both, port 123, can be restricted to specified remote IP). If not, you could disable the service and you should no longer see these particular prompts.

Regards,

CrazyM

5. MushfiQ

So i guess there is absoloutely no harm to disable that? I guess the advanced rules pretty much covers the whole thing then. Thx Crazy for the quick responses.

Regards,
    MushfiQ

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Windows update requires that svchost.exe make outbound connection with TCP to microsoft, servers remote ports 80 and 443.

Most of the time the remote network/mask addresses are:
    207.46.0.0/255.255.0.0 and 64.4.0.0/255.255.192.0

Sometimes, MS buys bandwith from random server addresses. You can either skip these when the firwall awarns you, or just give svchost.exe access to all remote addresses. The later is probably necessary if automatic updates are enabled (however, the service must be on for updates to sp2 to work at all.)

7. MushfiQ

Thx Diver & Crazy....both of you have summed it up for me....was a lil confused...kept on denying first then now have permetted it finally :cool: All u being very kind.....appriciate that....Cheers.....have a great weekend :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.