svchost.exe over 200,000k memory usage

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by wutsup, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders, when i look in task manager (i have windows vista home premium 64bit) one of the svchost.exe has over 200,000k memory usage. when i right click on it and go to services it shows windows audio endpoint builder(which is a legit service). can anyone else with the Same operating system check and see if it is like this. or this is normal? oh yea and make sur to press show process from all users

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

3. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i think i figured it out, it was superfetch that was being a memory hog.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

does anyone here with vista 64bit have this problem if you enable superfetch?(i.e. over 100,000k memory usage in one of the svchost.exe)

5. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

Why is this a problem? Memory exists to be used. If there's lots of it free, then that's kind of like wasted potential. ;)

Of course, if some process is hogging memory and not releasing it when it's needed more by more important processes, or if the memory use is causing slow down or other issues, that's a problem. But some process using lots of memory by itself is not a problem. SuperFetch will use a lot of memory. But if some process the user is running needs more memory, it will get it - SuperFetch will release it in such cases. It's a pretty handy technology, and it does actually speed things up.

Don't go worrying about memory usage unless the system is visibly slowing down or unstable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.