Svchost 100 % CPU Usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Rizla_UK, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizla_UK

Rizla_UK Registered Member

Hi,

I have been toiling with this problem for the last few days and can't seem to get it right. I hope somebody can help put it to bed. Ok, a few days ago my pc started to act strange in that when playing online games i would lose connection to the server a lot which was a first for me. On checking task manager my cpu usage was at 100% with svchost.exe the culprit. Cut a long story short NOD32 v3 found "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Srvces.exe - probably a variant of Win32/Rbot trojan - cleaned by deleting - quarantined [1]" and i also used hijack this and other tools to find any other remnants of this in the registry etc that needed to be removed and did so. I thought everything should be fine, yet i still get 100% CPU usage. I've tried too many things to list here, but still i'm dogged by this problem. Can anybody shed further light on this one please?

Thanks in advance.

Rizla_UK

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

On some machines svchost will hit 100% all the time due to automatic updates being turned on. Mine did anyway.
    Turning it off could help (but allow it to display a message when new updates are available to make it easier for yourself).

Also to be sure your system is free of any malware, use a couple of online scanners.
    A list can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software#Online_scanners

3. Rizla_UK

Thanks for the reply Brian N,

I've tried turning off automatic updates already, as on my quest to sort this problem out i came across some suggested fixes, that being one of them. Also my pc is clean in Spybot, Adaware and Hijackthis. Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Rizla_UK

4. Rizla_UK

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Has anyone got a fix for a non techie?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.