Svchost 100 % CPU Usage

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Rizla_UK, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rizla_UK

Rizla_UK Registered Member

Hi,

I have been toiling with this problem for the last few days and can't seem to get it right. I hope somebody can help put it to bed. Ok, a few days ago my pc started to act strange in that when playing online games i would lose connection to the server a lot which was a first for me. On checking task manager my cpu usage was at 100% with svchost.exe the culprit. Cut a long story short NOD32 v3 found "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Srvces.exe - probably a variant of Win32/Rbot trojan - cleaned by deleting - quarantined [1]" and i also used hijack this and other tools to find any other remnants of this in the registry etc that needed to be removed and did so. I thought everything should be fine, yet i still get 100% CPU usage. I've tried too many things to list here, but still i'm dogged by this problem. Can anybody shed further light on this one please?

Thanks in advance.

Rizla_UK

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

On some machines svchost will hit 100% all the time due to automatic updates being turned on. Mine did anyway.
    Turning it off could help (but allow it to display a message when new updates are available to make it easier for yourself).

Also to be sure your system is free of any malware, use a couple of online scanners.
    A list can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_antivirus_software#Online_scanners

3. Rizla_UK

Thanks for the reply Brian N,

I've tried turning off automatic updates already, as on my quest to sort this problem out i came across some suggested fixes, that being one of them. Also my pc is clean in Spybot, Adaware and Hijackthis. Any other suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Rizla_UK

4. Rizla_UK

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Has anyone got a fix for a non techie?:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.