Suspicious File

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Banger696, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

Where's the best place to send a suspicious file? Virustotal says it's clean but it's a 15 byte file which opens the command prompt window and seems to do nothing - was supposed to be a graphical drive analyser.

File: DriveSpacio0.1.0.exe from hotfiles.net linked from Developers site

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Surely a 15 byte file is not a PE executable, maybe some little code written in asm and compiled to a com file?

3. Banger696

I have no idea. It is definitely an exe file and appears to do nothing. The exe was linked in my ISP Newsletter to the developers site and then to hotfiles.net.

It opens a command window then nothing NOD32 finds nothing so I need to confirm what I have downloaded.

Edit: Maybe it is a broken download? With only 15 bytes of the executable being delivered?

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does the file start with "MZ" at least? If so, then it must be a corrupted exe file.

5. Banger696

Phew panic over, I opened the file with a Hex editor from old DOS days and inside the 15 byte exe file it says "File Not Found", thanks Marcos. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.