Suspicious File - Too Large to Upload to VT

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Today I was looking on my brother's computer. He is 11, and is what I consider high-risk. He mainly watches YouTube videos, but also plays online games.

On his desktop today I found a file, Macromedia Flash 8. It had an appropriate icon, but it raised several red-flags because:

1. Macromedia got bought out by Adobe a while ago.
    2. Flash is beyond version 8, so why would a site give him a version 8 download?
    3. I looked at the file's details; it has no copyright, which I believe legitimate Flash downloads do
    4. The file version and product version are 0.0.0.0

It also lists the original file names as Flash8Portable.exe

I scanned with Roboscan (the AV on his PC), MBAM, HitmanPro, and Avast! when I moved it to a USB to bring to my PC. None found anything, but Avast! couldn't scan because all the files were password protected?

Worst, I can't upload it to VirusTotal because it is 54MB.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or could this be a zero-day malware?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Ok, I found out what it was. I decided to run it on his computer and if it was malware, just clean it. :D

It turns out it wasn't Flash player, it was Flash. A portable version of Flash 8. I just want to know how he got it, since Flash costs hundreds of dollars I believe. He claims his friend downloaded it, but from where, I don't know.

3. culla

culla Registered Member

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have three boys 13,12,10 and they download things called cheat engine,Minecraft and so fourth For games I guess.They also play Xbox live and some one gave a 3 months live to one of my kids. I dont know how they get some of the stuff they do,They have connections I guess..These kids are sharp as tacks but unfortunatley have no care in the world about malware or virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.