Suspicious File - Too Large to Upload to VT

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Today I was looking on my brother's computer. He is 11, and is what I consider high-risk. He mainly watches YouTube videos, but also plays online games.

On his desktop today I found a file, Macromedia Flash 8. It had an appropriate icon, but it raised several red-flags because:

1. Macromedia got bought out by Adobe a while ago.
    2. Flash is beyond version 8, so why would a site give him a version 8 download?
    3. I looked at the file's details; it has no copyright, which I believe legitimate Flash downloads do
    4. The file version and product version are 0.0.0.0

It also lists the original file names as Flash8Portable.exe

I scanned with Roboscan (the AV on his PC), MBAM, HitmanPro, and Avast! when I moved it to a USB to bring to my PC. None found anything, but Avast! couldn't scan because all the files were password protected?

Worst, I can't upload it to VirusTotal because it is 54MB.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or could this be a zero-day malware?

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Ok, I found out what it was. I decided to run it on his computer and if it was malware, just clean it. :D

It turns out it wasn't Flash player, it was Flash. A portable version of Flash 8. I just want to know how he got it, since Flash costs hundreds of dollars I believe. He claims his friend downloaded it, but from where, I don't know.

3. culla

culla Registered Member

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have three boys 13,12,10 and they download things called cheat engine,Minecraft and so fourth For games I guess.They also play Xbox live and some one gave a 3 months live to one of my kids. I dont know how they get some of the stuff they do,They have connections I guess..These kids are sharp as tacks but unfortunatley have no care in the world about malware or virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.