suspend

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I am powering on the computer 3 times a day.Is it better to shut down and power on or leave it suspended for the day?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Laptop/desktop/something else?
    Mrk

3. cet

cet Registered Member

Desktop,Dell Optiplex 390 :)

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I left my last desktop running 24/7 and it lasted over 5 years without any problems...

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Suspend during the day and shutdown during evening for both laptop and desktop.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Depends on what you do with your desktop. My main desktop serves as a printer server, backup server, DHCP server and a few other things. I leave it up 24/7 with a few exceptions. Those exception are power outages (frequent occurrence here) and heat. Most of the other computers in my house are put in standby or shut down each day. With laptops when traveling I always turn them off. The one computer at work is turned off and unplugged when not in use.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i always shutdown but in case you can hibernate too if you want your working save and yes sometimes standby mode too depends

if i am not working or downloading and it goona take more than half hour or hour i prefer shutdown electricity is expensive now days :D

8. cet

cet Registered Member

I am leaving at suspend during the day and shutting off at night.Before I was shutting off and booting up 4 times a day and I had bad blocks twice.Now with my new PC I am trying this new plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.