Suse live CD vs Ubuntu Live CD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tgell, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I downloaded the new Suse KDE 10.3 Live CD but compared to the Ubuntu Live CD, I had a number of problems. Ubuntu's Nautilus found my two hard drive partitions and also my cd burner. Ubuntu even found my integrated sound and configured it. In Suse, I had to go to terminal and manually make a directory and then mount the hard drive primary partition. I manually tried to mount my CD burner but the burner application in Suse did not see it. Also, I could not configure my sound in Suse. For some reason, I kept getting a configuration error. Overall, I found the Ubuntu Live CD much easier to navigate. Any thoughts as to why Suse Live did not see my hard drive partitions or CD burner on boot up?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    First the kernels and included drivers are different.
    Second, more details would be nice - the exact errors you got.
    Mrk

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Sorry for your difficulties.

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I've never tried SUSE, but with Kubuntu 7.10, it's the first time I have everything working out of the box. It even recognized the memory card reader.:D

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

@HURST, LOL, I was trying to be subtle.

Ok I'll say it. PCLOS rulez! :D

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The computer I loaded Suse on is an old Dell XPS T450 with 384 MB of ram and XP pro. When the Suse desktop came up I went to My Computer and no hard drives were listed. I went to Yast and clicked on hardware. Suse saw my hard drive as /dev/sda and my cdr-w drive as /dev/sr0. The sound card was listed as YMF-724F (DS-1 audio controller). In Yast I clicked on sound and a window came up saying the YMF-724f was not yet configured and to click edit. I did so and clicked on quick setup. A error dialog came up saying "The kernel module snd-ymfpci in sound support could not be loaded. This can be caused by incorrect IO and IRQ parameters". I went back and tried normal setup and got the same error. In order to see the hard drive I went to Konsole as root and typed
    mkdir /media/sda1
    mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/sda1
    for the cdr-w drive I typed
    mkdir /media/sr0
    mount /dev/sr0/media/sr0
    I went to file manager and in the media directory clicked on sda1 and saw my windows files. Clicked on sr0 and saw the Suse files on the CD. I went to applications and clicked on K3b, the burning software and a window came up saying a CD burner was not found on the system. That is as far as I got. Things seemed to go smoother for me in Ubuntu but I liked the look of Suse KDE.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

384MB RAM isn't much for a full fledged distro. I'd try TinyMe, MiniMe, TinyFlux, SAM Linux, Damn Small Linux or PuppyLinux.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.