suse linux 10.2

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    i was thinking of installing suse 10.2 on my old dell Pentium 3 1256mb ram pc
    atm i have windows ME installed on it.
    i want to eiether dual boot windows Me and suse 10.2 or use wmware server whichi belive is free and use windows Me inside wmwaare but dont know if that would be to slow on my old pc.
    also does wmware server even work on suse10.2?
    i will probaly get a wireless nic card for my old pc to use the net on it sometimes.
    im not ready to dual boot my main xp pc as off yet.
    i might save up and get a cheap 3000 or 3200 socket 939 amd processer 64 bit and run the 64bit of suse linux on it.
    lodore

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Your questions:

VMware Server works on Suse 10.2 - personal guarantee.

Do you have 1256MB or 256MB??
    If it's only 256MB, you should not be installing virtualization software... In that case, I suggest a lightweight distro like Xubuntu.

You can try my vmware server and windows in linux and dual boot articles.

Mrk

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok can i dual boot windows ME and suse 10.2 on my old Pentuim 3 pm with only 256mb of ram?
    because i like suse 10.2 but dont know if it will run well on my old pc.
    if not i might try ubuntu or the one you sergested but i want to try suse 10.2 first

my main pc running xp has 3200 amd 64 bit processer and 1gb of ram but dont want to dual boot on that yet anyway
    lodore

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    There's no reason not to boot, but your choice...
    Therefore, try Xubuntu, get hang of the command line and Linux usage. Running it with KDE on 256MB will be a bit difficult. Maybe Gnome, but then you're missing the real fun of the sexiest desktop available.
    After that, moving to SUSE will be piece of cake.
    Mrk

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my pc has just one partistion for the whole 160gb because stupid carriera made it that way when i brought it.
    plus i dont have a windows cd to reinstall windows to have it only using like 10gb partistion.
    and i dont want to use a third party app toe repartstion because i have no windows cd to reinstall it if it goes wrong lol.
    i might try and get a cheap socket 939 system for linux so i can try 64 bit linux without screwing up my current pc.
    it should be alot cheaper with no OS
    lodore

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,

You can install SUSE 10.2 on your other pc, but your specs are the low end. It will run, but the experience won't be as good as you it might be. You'll might get the wrong impression. I warmly recommend you try Xubuntu; it will work quite well with that machine.

Once you get hang of what Linux is and how it works > move to SUSE.

Mrk

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i was reading about the installing by typing in the name of the installer and pressing accept. but first you had to type commnads in to the terminal.
    i will have to experiment.
    i used a linux live cd to make the windows me partistion to only 10gb so ive got 30gb left.
    lodore

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You can also use the 100% GUI installer.
    Mrk

9. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Lodore,

Have you tried SUSE10.2 on your main computer with VMWare Player? It runs quite well on my system that only has 512MB RAM. In fact, it's what I'm running right now. Didn't know if you knew there was already a SUSE10.2 with KDE virtual machine available at VMWare site. If you were already aware of that, then never mind. I am currently trying to download the SUSE10.2 liveDVD, but with a dial-up connection is going in increments. I should have it downloaded by the time I turn 90. By the way, I have Mrkvonic to thank for getting me started with the Linux (and VMWare) software. It's been an awsome experience. Like you, Lodore, I don't yet feel ready to try to actually install Linux on my machine, since I am in the same boat, having bought a PC with XP already installed. So, if I were to hose my system, that would be it for Windows. Not that I would miss XP that much, but would definitely miss my Madden Football...

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm i didnt know there was kde with wmware.
    i might try that when i got some new ram for my pc.
    ok so you use wmware player
    also is there a 64bit already made suse 10.2 for wmware?
    because i might try the 64bit version of suse10.2 on wmware but a already made one
    where can i get a already made kde vvirtual machine for wmware player? 64bit is prefered but 32bit is ok
    links?
    lodore

11. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Even better - why don't you install it yourself? You can choose between kde and gnome. Furthermore, vmware server is free. You cannot run 64-bit OS on 32-bit platform - that is your Windows. But the testing of the general functionality is the same.
    Try my installing suse linux tutorial - all your questions will be answered.
    Mrk

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i cant find the suse 10.2 guide on your website can you give me a link?
    lodore

13. Mrkvonic

14. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

OK :p

how would I go about optimizing NUMA in 64bit w\ 4GB of PC2700?
    (for Linux based graphics software) then repeat a memory optimization for VMware but thi time the aps are on W2K inside VMware

Tyan K8W w\ hypertransport IGB per channel (2 channels per CPU) Opteron 244's

not that I expect specifics so much as clues\keywords I can search with (NUMA scripts? configs?)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  15. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I seem to have failed at the first question. NUMA?
    Mrk

16. Ice_Czar

non uniform memory access ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-Uniform_Memory_Access

Non-Uniform Memory Access or Non-Uniform Memory Architecture (NUMA) is a computer memory design used in multiprocessors, where the memory access time depends on the memory location relative to a processor. Under NUMA, a processor can access its own local memory faster than non-local memory, that is, memory local to another processor or memory shared between processors.

Limiting the number of memory accesses provide the key to extracting high performance from a modern computer. For commodity processors, this means installing an ever-increasing amount of high-speed cache memory and using increasingly sophisticated algorithms to avoid "cache misses". But the dramatic increase in size of the operating systems and of the applications run on them have generally overwhelmed these cache-processing improvements. Multi-processor systems make the problem considerably worse. Now a system can starve several processors at the same time, notably because only one processor can access memory at a time.

NUMA attempts to address this problem by providing separate memory for each processor, avoiding the performance hit when several processors attempt to address the same memory. For problems involving spread data (common for servers and similar applications), NUMA can improve the performance over a single shared memory by a factor of roughly the number of processors (or separate memory banks).

17. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well, frankly I must admit that this is a bit outside my domain of knowledge. I have very little knowledge about hardware programming and cannot really help you here...
    But if you need a nice low-pass filter or random distribution pulse generator, I can help there... Or maybe something else Linux-wise...
    Mrk

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you install suse 10.2 the first thing you should do is remove zmd because it's still broken and will just really slow everything down - http://opensuse-community.org/Package_Sources

after that i always install smart (the package manager) it comes with all the repositories you need to install software, so i run smart, update it then upgrade all the programs. here's another link - http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/

there's some stuff here if you want it - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139146 you can find programs that aren't in the repos here - http://benjiweber.co.uk:8080/webpin/

you can always just install another desktop environment like xfce if you think your computer isn't powerful enough (that would be like install xubuntu which uses xfce) i just installed suse 10.2 yesterday, i like it.

19. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Ice, no need to remove zmd. You can leave it.
    Instead, the user can simply update via Yast > Online Update. Very simple.
    BTW, you are not allowed to run Xfce with SUSE - only KDE or if you really must Gnome ... :)
    Mrk

P.S. I must admit you got a knack for visualization.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice guide Mrkvonic:thumb:
    is there a printer friendly version?
    i need to print it out to have it with me when i want to dual boot my old windows ME pc.
    lodore

21. Ice_Czar

why thank you
    (I think :p I just cut and pasted that description from wikipedia)

doing a little research and it looks like numactl is the ticket (NUMA Policy Control)

"Control NUMA policy for individual processes. Offer libnuma for individual NUMA policy in applications."

of course what the hell libnuma is...
    libnuma NUMA policy Library (makes sense) appears to be a programming interface to NUMA (now I get to learn LInux programming :p)

ahhh here are the other things I'll need (or at least understand)
    get_mempolicy
    getpagesize
    mbind
    mmap
    set_mempolicy
    shmat
    sched_setaffinity

I assume these tools are employed in the configs\scripts mentioned in the other thread? Any place with really dumbed down introduction on that? (good place to find basic instructions and advanced search terms, syntax, order to use tools ect)

reassuring to see the tools above available in the openSUSE package search ;)
    seems most are available as documentation in manuals, which I gather means they are integral tools to the kernel? which would be even better

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  22. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Sorry, I haven't made printer friendly version yet. Although I checked printing previews, they look ok. I'll see if I get time to make these versions... Too many things on me mind, so little time...
    Ice, slow down man. Take one geek step at a time.
    Mrk

23. Ice_Czar

LOL

Im going to have to jump in the deep end eventually :p
    For me Linux is all about 64bit NUMA performance driven Computer Graphics
    (trying out opensource modeling and rendering ) and then doing it again via VMware\W2K (Illustrator\Photoshop ect)

besides I blew the heatsink off one of my VRMs and Im waiting for a replacement TIM
    (needs to hold the heatsink to the chips) good time for research

24. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

That can't be right. Those could be the two base environments initially used, but you can easily (at least I would hope so), install any other desktop environment or window manager if you wanted to.

Another window manager that runs fairly light but has plenty of eye candy is enlightenment 17.

Alphalutra1

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.