SUSE and Ubuntu?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sosaiso, Jun 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Both are coming out with new builds, and I was just wondering what the strengths and weaknesses of both distributions before I decide to install my dual boot. What I could think of off the top of my head was:

SUSE
    - Novell. [Professional.]
    - No support without paying arm and leg.
    - Very well organized.
    - GUI and everything pretty.

Ubuntu
    - free shipping and handling.
    - GUI and everything pretty.
    - free support.
    - Not maintained by "corporation".

2. bktII

bktII Registered Member

sosaiso,

How about turning the question around and asking which distros match your preferences?

Here is a thread that has two links that will "walk" you through your preferences and suggest distros for your consideration:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134173

bktII

P.S. Did a small bit of inquiry last night into MS and "natural monopolies". Interesting reading.

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Ah, bktII, your post was the one that originally made me look into SUSE!

I was just curious of opinions on the distro. heh. Much thanks for those links though.

4. bktII

bktII Registered Member

sosaiso,

I have an HP Pavillion desktop PC (< 1 year old) and a HP (Compaq) laptop PC (< 2 years old).

Was unable to complete SUSE installation on either PC. Did a web search and found others with HP PCs that also had trouble installing SUSE. Potential hardware detection issue with SUSE as Ubuntu installed on both PCs with no problem.

Here is another link I have found useful that provides EXHAUSTIVE detail on various Linux distributions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions

Includes charts by distro for General, Technical, Features (many), Architecture Support and Security Feature information. This will let you "drill down" in great detail.

Hopefully, this link will provide additional information assisting you in reaching a final decision. Both SUSE and Ubuntu are included.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

idk if it can be considered a con, but ubuntu uses a text/console type install and suse has a graphical installer.

i like suse. its easy to install and it detected all my hardware. my network adpater needed tweaks so SUSE would detect a connection but that was a minor issue. i havent tested teh sound or printer as i keep my linux installs for a redicously short period of time.

later ill try kubuntu when the cd comes. (i ordered kubuntu cuz i like KDE and its pretty gui). If I get rele bored i may just start downloading the dvd image and use the CD as a keepsake.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  6. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

Evidently, you chose the text based installer CD: (alternate CD), not the GUI installer: (LiveCD) for Ubuntu.
    The LiveCD has GUI, I used it.
    If you need to change screen resolution preferences before installing Gfx drivers, or change the location where Grub will be installed, choose the text based. If you want Ubuntu to auto detect your Gfx card, and auto install Grub into Windows Partition, choose LiveCD.
    You can run the LiveCD to see which hardware works and which doesn't, before install.
    Everything I had, worked fine, sound, printer, scanner, internet connection (DSL modem), video/audio codecs, etc.
    Just had to install nVidia Gfx drivers, after install, plus a few minor details.
    It "views" my AMD X2 as an Opteron, but that's close enough.
    I might try the Suse version, to compare, but Ubuntu does what I need (so far).

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive never actually tried ubuntu, ive just read about the text based installer several times.

if it does use a GUI, then id be ever more eager to try it.

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Version 6 which was just released comes with a GUI installer. I really don't care about text vs. GUI, whatever gets the job done suits me. In the past three days, I installed ubuntu, configured wireless via ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant all from command line, and installed fluxbox from source. I just started linux too. It really isn't that hard to learn. A bit frustrating at times, but the ubuntu forums have several great howtos and helpful people. Initially, text based and commandline seems harder, but after inputting commands a few times, it really is simple. You just mv right along to ~/ and sudo apt-get install fun :D

Alphalutra1

9. bktII

bktII Registered Member

sosaiso,

If you got to the link (Wikipedia Comparison of Linux distributions and view the Features chart under GUI installation procedure) provided at my prior post, you will indeed see that for Ubuntu 6.06 (2006-06-01) "A GTK+/QT installer is available on the Desktop CD. (LiveCD)".

In addition, not to sway you from your decision of Ubuntu vs. SUSE, I have also successfully installed Mandrake Linux 10.1 and Fedora Core 4/5 (both) Linux successfully on both of my HP PCs. Linspire installed on my notebook PC (but no streaming audio), the Linspire live CD runs on my desktop PC (it is a good rescue CD) and Linspire will not install on my desktop PC. Just some add'l information regarding hardware detection.

bktII

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.