Survey of different storage/back up plans re Hard Ware setups.

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Longboard, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thought it might be interesting to get a take on how and what HW peeps are using for local and remote storage and backups. Not software, a survey of HW options & system designs with recovery and data security plans.

We all know HW -WILL- Fail. Learnt the hard way a couple of times: multiple fail points: HDDs collapse without warning, powerunits fritz, UPS systems have a lifespan, batteries fail, software goes walkabout.
    Cloud systems better than they were. We all need local and offsite data security and immediate recovery options.

Me at my microbusines:
    2 Desktops and 2 laptops : networked, onsite server and NAS, contract with onshore remote secure cloud backup on a schedule. All devices have bootable updated images.
    Can recover from local or remote backups.
    Have recently made a full recovery from partially successful ransomware attack within 4 hours.:D

At home:
    Desktops, Laptops, cabled and wifi meshed.
    All systems have bootable recovery environments.
    All systems are imaged on a schedule to a 4 bay NAS ( hot swappable, hybrid RAID) with active syncing to USB HDD.
    Personal archives on the NAS , USB & Cloud
    Offsite/Remote backup of NAS on regular schedule.
    On ocassions I havethought about a 2 drive raid 1 NAS between the 4 bay and the USB HDD.

Whatever "system" I have in place has been cobbled together incrementally over the years.
    It feels a bit clumsy. I'm sure there are better options.
    Have had may HW & SW fails in that time,but have always had some sort of backup of personal and business data. ( LOL; even if only a very tight grip on a USB stick !!)
    Luckily to now, haven't had a bad data loss experience.

Anybody got any streamlining suggestions? Better templates?
    Regards
    LB

2. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

While you are not talking about software i have found hdsentinel pretty good at predicting hdd failures but not my first SSD failure.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

HEH, sinking without a trace.
    I'll take that as a "No": noone has a better backup structure than me ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.