SuRun...Yes or no.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Morro, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Ok i have a question about SuRun. A friend recommended to me that i should take a look at what SuRun has to offer. And from what i have read here and on there own site i really like what it has to offer? :cool:

But that same friend also knew i use the program VideoLan as my Mediaplayer, and he told me that SuRun at times seems to have problems with VideoLan. Since at the moment i do not have SuRun installed i can not check whether this is true or not.

From what i have read about SuRun so far it seems to me that even it where true that there can be some problems between the two, it does not out do the benefits of SuRun. Has any one noticed this between the two programs, and is SuRun indeed as good as i think it is? (Please tell me it is. )

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you are a LUA (user) now, SuRun is a great help to you. If you can run something with a RunAs, SuRun should work for you.

If you are Admin now, and you plan to start using LUA and SuRun, you may run into issues with certain programs not liking it that you are not an Admin anymore. I have certainly found some of those.

It is probably a good consensus that programmers who do not code in proper security routines means they are doing a dis-service to all. However you look at it, if your program (VLC in this case) does not play well as a user, you simply must make a choise. Are you willing to run as Admin, and use the programs you like, with all the possible security compromises that go with it, or are you ready to run as a User, knowing that much threats are mitigated just from LUA, but also lose the use of some of your favorite programs.

I chose to remain Admin. But if my favorite programs worked as a User, I would happily run as LUA as well. And I would SuRun if I did for sure.

Sul.

3. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

VLC Media Player 1.0.0 working fine under Vista as a standard user and running SuRun 1.2.0.6. VLC does not need elevated rights to work properly as far as I can tell, so I don't know why it would conflict with SuRun.

4. Morro

Morro Registered Member

I am Admin at the moment. But from what i read SuRun has the option in the Windows context menu of Start as Administrator, so if a program does require admin rights that option should solve it...does it not?

I do not have vista(yet), i use XP Pro and so does the friend who recommended SuRun. The way he described it, whas that at times when he clicked on a wav or mp3/4 vlc would not pop up. But when he used taskmanager to check he saw that VLC was started up, and that there where two vlc.exe. Deactivating one of those two solved the problem by poping up the VLC player and playing the file. He told me that this happened ones or twice in about 10 songs.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There's absolutely no reason in the world why VLC would not play under surun. It's a cross-platform app, meaning it also runs on Linux, and all Linux apps are designed to run as standard user. What more, VLC comes also as a portable app in Windows and can be specifically used on machines where you don't have admin rights.

I guess your friend has other issues with his installation.

And to answer in the style of Sir Humphrey from (Yes) Prime Minister, the answer would be: yes and no.

Mrk

6. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Hey that is nice to know. :cool:

LoL i guess so, ok i am of to install then. Thanks Sully, jdd58 and Mrkvonic. :D

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

It turns out I have the same symptoms. Opening VLC then selecting the file to be played works normally. Right clicking the file and selecting play or play with VLC exhibits the behavior you describe.

Adding VLC to SuRun to be run with admin rights does not affect this behavior. In fact when I'm logged in as admin I have the same behavior, VLC process running but no file being played.

Either way if a conflict with SuRun with is the culprit I can live with the workaround of opening VLC first. SuRun is just too convenient to live without.

8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You have a problem that is unrelated to VLC.
    Mrk

9. Morro

Morro Registered Member

Yeah i got that problem to. But i do not really mind the workaround either. It looks really good and more then likely is to, also it is good to see that it uses surprisingly little resources. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.