SuRun Problem: The command line does not seem to work

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by exus69, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hello,

I am running as LUA in XP Pro. When I click on Disk Defragmenter it says "You must have Administrator privileges to defragment a volume."
    Since this program runs only with admin privileges I dont want to right click and select run as and then enter admin credentials.

Instead I would prefer to get the admin credentials box straightaway when I run the program under LUA. So am trying to add it in the program list in SuRunners group. However after selecting the program C:\Windows\system32\dfrg.msc I am getting the following error. Adding inverted commas does not help.

What can the problem be?

Attached Files:

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

I'm not sure about XP but for Windows 7 the command line parameters follow the convention as:

"C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe C:\Windows\System32\dfrgui.exe" (without quotes).

3. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Brilliant!! That solves the problem. Thanks alot :) But now I am facing a new problem. I can't start the defrag program with it asking me to input admin credentials straightaway. All it says is the same thing (which it used to say before SuRun):
    You must have Administrator privileges to defragment a volume.o_O

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're welcome! I'm not at home now to check specifics, but you need to make sure you are a Surun user. That may solve your problem. Also, try making a shortcut to the defrag process, maybe on your desktop, so then you just right-click it and select "Start as Administrator" (the SuRun administrattor).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  5. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

I just realized that adding LUA to SuRunners group can easily elevate the LUA to admin level even without setting the LUA password!! As member of the SuRunners group the LUA can right click on any application and select "Start as Administrator". A box will pop up asking for the LUA password and I was able to run the program even without inputting any password!!(Of course I havent set any password for my LUA account).

This is a serious security problem imo because the usual way in which LUA(combined with SuRun and SRP) should work is it MUST ask for the admin password when it tries to execute any file from a folder other than Program Files and Windows. Here, just by adding the LUA in SuRunners group you are indirectly giving it admin rights!!

And removing LUA from SuRunners group is not an option coz when you try to launch an elevated program as LUA, SuRun asks you for admin password but also adds you to the SuRunners group!!

The only possible solution I see now is checking the option to predefine the programs that can be launched with elevated rights but I could be missing out on something here.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.