Surun does not work with Norton Internet Security 2011

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by exus69, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hi all,

I've two user accounts on Windows XP system, one with admin priviliges and the other one is configured as LUA. I've configured SuRun 1.2.0.9
    and it works fine under LUA.

However only Norton Internet Security 2011 does not start under admin privilige when I right click the icon and select "Start as Administrator".
    Rest all the programs run in admin context.

Dont know whats the matter with NIS 2011 the SuRun smile just does not
    turn red :(

Please help

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

SuRun only elevates in the current user context, and not globally. Maybe NIS needs a "pure" elevation?

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You might want to try the latest beta 1.2.1.0 b9:

-http://forum.kay-bruns.de/thread/411,2;nocount

I've been using it for a couple months now and it works perfectly fine.

4. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

That dint work so now i'll restore the OS image, reinstall NIS 2011 and reinstall the latest version of SuRun which u pointed (instead of upgrading from the version 1.2.0.9). Lets see what happens will keep you'll updated.

Thanks for helping, wat and m00nbl00d :)

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You're welcome! Under the "Execution Hooks" tab there is a Blacklist option where you could try adding the NIS executable to if your next attempt doesn't work.

6. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

One thing I just recollected is that I had installed NIS 2011 under LUA by escalating the privilges using SuRun. Do you think that might be the reason of the prob that am facing?

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't think so, because I've installed some programs that way before without a hitch, although I usually elevate via UAC, but SuRun should accomplish it in similar fashion. That said, NIS is a beast of a program if it's anything like I remember it from 7-10 years ago, so maybe there's something not elevating that should be.

BTW, have you tried tried elevating NIS usin XP's Run as... from your limited account?

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

@exus,

try adding the following two Norton files to your Surunner Group's limited account name:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.6.0.29\ccSvcHst.exe"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Engine\18.6.0.29\diStRptr.dll"

and edit them both to:

Automatically start this program with elevated rights.

Start the program automagically with elevated rights.

NIS 2011 will hopefully now run with all program options available in your limited account.

I tested in a Win7x64 vm using latest SuRun beta 9 and it works as though it's running under the admin account. Sorry no XP vm to test on.

9. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hi wat,

After recovering the clean OS image, reinstalling NIS 2011 I tried elevating NIS 2011 from LUA using XP "Run as" not SuRun but the result is still the same i.e.FAIL.

Does that mean some programs simply cannot be elevated while logged in as LUA with or without SuRun?

That did not work as well :(
    But now I think since NIS 2011 cannot start elevated with xp's builtin elevation mechanism, there's little that SuRun can do anything about it?? or is there a way out??

10. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Try surun /runas

11. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hi Sadeghi,

That does not work...I get an error "<program name> could not be started".

12. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I encountered the exact same issue in win7 but after adding those two files to Surunners group, NIS runs fullly elevated, so i'm thinking it should also be possible in XP.

What is the Norton service that runs in XP? Is it the same one that runs in Win7? Maybe it's a different combination of executable service and dll that you have to auto-elevate in SuRun than the two I needed for Win7? Just thinking on the fly.

13. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

How do I check which service/process/dll is being used by a specific program i.e.Norton??

14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

The service/process is found easily enough in Task Manager processes, but the dll might be really tricky in XP. In Win 7 I opened event viewer and went to AppLocker executables to seek out the Norton dll that loads when logging in. You could try Process Explorer and select the lower pane view, highlight the NIS service/process and look for any NIS-related DLLs that are loaded.

EDIT

Also be sure to Ctrl+D to enable DLL view.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2011
  15. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Using Process Explorer, I was able to find the process used by NIS 2011 i.e.ccsvchst.exe. Then I checked the dll files used by that exe and the list is quite long. In fact I cudnt get the whole list in one screenshot. Which one do I need to allow in SuRun??

Please help

Attached Files:

• PE.JPG
      PE.JPG
      File size:
      166 KB
      Views:
  16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I would think it should be the same as the one for Win7 but give me some time to try to figure this out. I actually do have a vm clone of XP, so I'll load it up and have a play.

EDIT

actually, try what I have done as seen in the screenshot for SuRunners Group entry. Use the wildcard "*" as I did for the dll file. this will cover all dll files. Probably not the best solution but it will at least conclude whether or not you can elevate NIS in XP as I have done in Win7 as seen in the screenshot (note the account is Standard user but all options are available in NIS).

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
  17. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hello wat,

That did not help as well. I even restarted the pc but of no use :(. Its ok let it be there's no point in wasting more time after this. I thought there must be some minor adjustments but this thing is not getting solved at all.

Forget it but thanks a ton dude you really tried your heart out to get it done :) I wish I could help you as well but am still in the learning stage...

btw can you help me out in this other query that I've posted here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=307848

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.