Supreme court of India switches to Ubuntu 10.04LTS

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

http://efytimes.com/e1/70691/fullnews.htm

the Supreme Court of India has directed all the courts across the nation to switch over to Ubuntu 10.04. The apex court has also given all the courts customised Ubuntu Linux DVD for installation.

Happy happy joy joy for me.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Why? What difference does it make to you what OS a court in India uses?

3. linuxforall

Its the beginning of a mission that I and my colleagues in India had set to spread open source and this is but one fruit of it.
    Does this bother you?

4. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I thought they already were running open source (Red Hat Enterprise)?

5. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

@Elapsed
    Aside from the cost, dubious MS business practices, and inefficient use of hardware resources I can't think of many reasons why a government agency,NGO, charity would NOT want to use Linux based OS.
    For the typical home user Windows probably is far better option right now imo.

Back on topic: Looking at the article again, the Indian Courts were indeed using Red Hat (open source) . So I guess the switch to Ubuntu was due to justice system requiring increased functionality that Red Hat could not offer.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I think I was quite clear in my statement that I don't care what OS they use, it makes no difference to me. My statement was to the people that for some reason, do care, even when it has no effect on them. I won't pretend to understand it, and with that, shall depart.

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Googling for the stuff in bold will bring up the circular, in case anyone is interested.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so you must hate redhat as well since they charge for a new version every few years to?
    while linux itself is free most of the developers are paid to write code for the linux kernel. I live in a realistic world and know people need to earn money to be able to live. I dont see any need to slag off windows. why change for change sake? windows works fine on my computers so why bother changing?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. linuxforall

Red Hat is Enterprise and it does superb in that sector going by latest fiscal reports, it offers free Fedora for end users, people definitely need to earn money but not fleece. If current going ons around the Earth is to go by it clearly shows that greed, monopoly, unfair trade practices are the root cause of total economic collapse around the globe. No one is telling you to slag off Windows here, why are Windows users so sensitive really, you like your Windows, fine, enjoy it, just don't come to a Linux thread and rant because someone is switching to LINUX.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im not slagging off linux im just stating that I like windows and linux but at the current time the majority of the software I use doesnt have a linux version.
    Fedora is a nice operating system but its bleeding edge so its likely to break often. I have an open mind and have tryed pretty much all of the major linux distros and have also tryed bsd distros to.

11. linuxforall

In that case by all means keep using Windows. Fedora is bleeding edge but Ubuntu LTS is rock stable, so is Cent OS, Scientific and many others like Mepis SUSE etc. Even cutting edge Arch is rock stable.

12. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed. Enjoy whatever OS you use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.