Suppress or disable GData Checking download dialog?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mindsignals, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindsignals

mindsignals Registered Member

I'm downloading a >10 GB download via Steam and it is downloading (or indicating scans of) blocks that are 1023 kB or less. I do have web protection set to 1 MB, which is the smallest value allowed, and turning it off does not appear to disable the dialog.

Is there a way to suppress the display of that dialog and/or temporarily suppress that download's pieces (or all download activity otherwise) from being scanned?

I tried disabling web scanning in case it was using port 80, since it appeared to effect the size of blocks scanned when I reduced it from 2 kB to 1 kB, but cannot seem to suppress it from appearing or bypass the scanning of the download parts. I am using GData Internet Security 2013.

Thanks!

2. mindsignals

mindsignals Registered Member

Well, I do have one correction...it isn't steam (which explains the port 80 usage)...it's youtube videos the kids left up and loading. However, because it is scanning the majority of the blocks, it basically won't play and, when it finally does, the dialog is popping up in front of the full-screen display repeatedly.

I would like to suppress it and/or reduce the overhead of those block scans so it can still provide stream protection but without grinding to a halt. This is a new machine with well above average specifications, although it is currently being utilized on a slow DSL connection which is also slowing the data transfers, of course.

Thanks in advance.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Your slow internet speeds may indeed be "causing" the download dialog window to appear while watching yt videos. This was a known issue in previous builds of the current v2013 which was supposedly fixed/improved in latest versions, so please make sure you are running the latest one. Anyway, there is currently a beta build v23.1.0.0 being tested just in the german version which hopefully fix your issue for good (it's listed on the changelog):

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I had dial-up a while back. Its the same problem. G-Data works fine with web downloads as long as you have a fast connection, other then that your out of luck until a fix. You could try disabling one of the two engines temporarily until its fixed which may help? You would still have the equivalent to Avast! Or Bitdefender depending on which you choose. Or maybe disable web protection? G-data works fine for me and every time I see one of those download boxes, its gone within a few seconds, due to my now 16MB/s download speeds.

5. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Same here, I have the AV version and a rather average 6mb/s ds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.