support.microsoft.com

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by DGeorge, Nov 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGeorge

DGeorge Registered Member

I cant seem to connect to any pages on the above, other than the main page. Instead I get http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812960 which is basically a "page not available" message. I can view the main page but thats all. Clicking on any links for anything else in support.microsoft.com takes me to the page not available.

Im using FF 1.0PR on XP SP1. Is my browser hijacked in some way?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm using FF RC2 and the page works for me. Empty your browser cache and see if that page works. xp sp2

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

You can get that in FF with M$ pages when you disallow cookies

M$ rely heavily on cookies along with browser referall headers and if you use Norton Internet Security or Zone Alarm with referral headers turned off ( high privacy) you get this problem

4. DGeorge

Well, Ive disabled content filtering on my firewall, allowed cookies, refferers, java, cleared my cache but still no go, with either FF or IE.

5. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Guest

usually works with:

active x enabled

cookies session usually enough

java no need for applets

NO POP-UP BLOCKERS.......

6. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

yeah, recheck your security settings for internet. make sure you have active x enabled and set to medium security then try again.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

No need for activex to view that page. Works fine with Firefox.

8. Jo M

Jo M Registered Member

I wouldn't follow advice like this!

The page loads fine in Firefox 1.0 RC. which uses no ActiveX. I only allow cookies from the originating web site and my security setting for the Internet Zone in Zone Alarm is "High"

You do need ActiveX for Windows Update:- Yep fix security holes WITH the security holes! Probably still have holes!

Why do so many people advise people to lower security settings o_O

JUST DON'T DO IT

Regards Jo M

9. DGeorge

First, Im not trying to get windows update, just any page on www.support.microsoft.com I can get the main page but cant get any subpages.

Two, dont worry about the lowered settings advice. I only lowered them for that page so the advice is not going to open me to any security threats.

I still cant access any pages on support.microsoft.com. Should I be posting a HJT log somewhere?

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What firewall are you using?

11. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Unless you have already tried this....temporarily or permanetly add.... *.microsoft.com ....into the Trusted Zone of IE.

12. Jo M

Jo M Registered Member

Hi DGeroge,

if your not using Windows Update then don't use IE at all! :ninja:

I was repeatedly subject to hacking attempts a while back after a session at the Microsoft site. I'm not accusing Microsoft on this occaision. But Microsoft has got to be one of the sites most subject to hacking attempts on the net!!! Somehow somebody nasty got my IP while I was on the site. So I will never put Microsoft into the Trusted area not even temporarily!

I have NO sites in the Trusted area and I can browse the site (and do most everything on the net) so it MUST BE SOMETHING ELSE! I don't know what. I hope someone here can help you!

I get your comment about only lowering security setting temporarily, but you might regret that the first time you forget...... Or am I the only forgetful one around here?

Regards Jo M

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.