Support for VHDX and Hyper-V

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by GeoffreyK, Dec 8, 2013.

1. GeoffreyK

GeoffreyK Registered Member

I am surprised that during P2V operations in HDM14, I am still being offered only "Microsoft Virtual PC" and VHD as formats. This software was deprecated several years ago now, and in Windows 8 and 8.1 only Hyper-V is supported. I waited patiently for VHDX support in versions 11 and 12 of HDM. Having upgraded to 14, I am quite shocked that the program acts as if this format doesn't exist. I want to be able to copy my hard disks directly to VHDX format, and not have to stage them via VHD, which is time-consuming and requires huge amounts of disk space, and I want to be able to create Hyper-V virtual machines. When will you support these formats?

2. gpkgpk

gpkgpk Registered Member

Same question here too.
    The March 2014 press release states:
    Is this an imminent product update? I don't see any available product updates for my installed version : Paragon Hard Disk Manager™, version 10.1.21.471 (10.02.14 ) Professional
    Thanks, gpk

3. GeoffreyK

HDM 14 is now advertised as supporting VHDX format, but in several of the Wizards I am unable to select a VHDX virtual disk. For example, in the P2V Adjust wizard, it's impossible to select VHDX, as the only VHD option available is the obsolete Microsoft Virtual PC. Why aren't you supporting Hyper-V, which is the de facto standard for Windows virtualization?

There are several other places where VHDX is either very difficult to select or impossible. It's time you gave the programme a complete makeover to ensure that the technology really is supported as advertised. It's very frustrating, especially now that Hyper-V Generation 2 machines REQUIRE the VHDX format. VHD is rapidly becoming obsolete... It would be great if you could let us know what you're doing about this.

4. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Yes, I agree. This has been previously discussed in this forum. There are differences between what is advertised and what is really present in the program. Sometimes these differences persist for a long time.

There is support for VHDX in some functions and in some "editions" (Suite, Pro, etc.), but not in others.

5. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

6. GeoffreyK

It's good to know they're beginning to work seriously with Hyper-V. Hopefully these features make it into the full HDM14 soon and this will force them to fully integrate VHDX format into HDM14. There are several anomalies in the current "support" for VHDX, and one of the most serious is the fact that P2V only offers the obsolete "Microsoft Virtual PC" as a machine format. The other is patchy VHDX support, including inability to select VHDX in several of the wizards as noted above. This new product doesn't (yet) remedy that bizarre situation, but it looks like a step in the right direction.

7. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.