Superglue On Laptop Screen..

Discussion in 'hardware' started by chrome_sturmen, Aug 6, 2017.

1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Hey Folks -
    Recently I was given a pretty nice little laptop by a relative (I-5 cpu, 6 gigs ram)
    This relative in the past had gotten some superglue on the screen by accident, and a little on the chassis.
    Is there a way to get this superglue off, or would I be better off replacing the screen alltogether? Other than the glue on the screen it runs just fine
    Thanks for thoughts *puppy*

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Is it a spot or more of a smear?

Just a thought, you could always attach it to your TV or another monitor.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Acetone will dissolve fresh cyanoacrylate quickly, and cured cyanoacrylate eventually. But it also dissolves many other plastics. So you could roll up a corner of TP, wet it with acetone, and wet small unobtrusive areas of the screen and chassis. If there's no damage, go for it. But have decent ventilation, and no open flame around. Acetone isn't very toxic, and doesn't get you high. Some people hate the smell, and some love it. I rather love it.

4. chrome_sturmen

It's some several spots and a couple smears.
    I actually want to use it as my main system for awhile so attaching it to an external won't work in this case (need mobility)
    maybe i'd better just replace the screen

5. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

You didn't say if the screen is plastic or glass.
    If it is a glass screen take a razor blade, wet it with wd40 (so it doesn't scratch the glass) and use it in the same manner as a paint scraper. It will easily remove the superglue and anything else that stuck to the glass.

6. chrome_sturmen

I may try the product "goo gone"
    i've read that it can help with superglue

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

:eek: Huh? Acetone is HIGHLY TOXIC!!!

National Institutes of Health, Tox Town, Acetone:
    I would try acetone on a cotton swap (with a cardboard - not plastic shaft) on a tiny spot on the screen in well-ventilated area (outside would be better).

8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

There are special solvents for this,,,,,, you could do a google search to find a source near you. I use a product by Loctite (I think its called NXF but am not sure at the moment) for unrelated (not PC screens) situations and it works very well. You simply put some of the solvent on a cloth and rub until the offending smear is gone. This product is def not acetone so may be better on plastic than acetone is. Worst case scenario is you have to replace the screen so try what seems reasonable to you.

9. mirimir

Acetone really isn't that toxic. I used it for years, for cleaning and paint thinning. You can metabolize it readily. Diabetics and people fasting produce and exhale enough to easily smell.

10. RockLobster

My wife uses acetone all the time to get nail polish off and she's not dead yet

11. chrome_sturmen

There are a couple spots of the superglue around the mousepad area also, and a bit on a key or 2 as well. Though of course the area will be cleaned with a damp cloth after I apply the chemical, I rather not use somethin super toxic on an area i'll be touching regularly.
    I wonder if the product "goo gone" would be appropriate. I read that acetone will eat into plastic I believe

12. mirimir

Goo Gone is a mix of citrus oil (limonene, a relative of turpentine) and various hydrocarbon solvents. It's best on gummy and oily stuff. It and acetone best attack different sorts of plastics. But I know that it doesn't dissolve cyanoacrylate as well as acetone does. Acetone is a really cool mix of hydrophilic (polar) and hydrophobic (nonpolar). Anyway, the only way to know for sure is testing small unobtrusive areas.

Edit: Acetone is the go-to solution if you accidentally glue your finger to your lip, or worse. It burns, for sure, but that's better than ripping off a chunk of lip or whatever. And it's unlikely to do permanent damage. But not if you glue your eyelids together. For that, get medical care.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Acetone evaporates in no time, so no worries about residuals.

14. Stigg

Stigg Registered Member

Just check what doctors use when people accidentally stick their fingers together.
    They use a special solvent.

15. mirimir

What do they use? I suspect acetone. Or another ketone. Maybe an ester, such as butyl acetate.

Edit: OK, see Duvvi et al. (2005) Superglue (Cyanoacrylate) in the Nose

https://sci-hub.cc/10.1016/j.otohns.2004.09.090

16. mirimir

OK, so why can't I edit that post?

Edit: This is so weird. I can edit this post, but not that one.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Without being there. I'd put some superglue on the bottom (non vented area) of the laptop. Let it dry 48 hrs & then try any or all of the above suggestions on that. For the screen I'd use almost anything but acetone like gasoline, kerosene or goo gone. There's also sharp plastic razor blades might give that a spin with one of the three.

18. chrome_sturmen

Nail polish remover is acetone right? Maybe I could try nail polish remover on the glue thats around the mousepad, then try goo gone on the screen?
    The laptop was free so there's no point in getting frustrated, I just look at it as a learning experience

19. mirimir

Old-school nail polish remover contains about 50% acetone. Some has none. In my experience, nail polish remover doesn't work so well on cyanoacrylate. Maybe if it's still curing. But not old residues.

20. mirimir

Experiment time :)
    1. drop cyanoacrylate on tissue paper for rapid curing
    2. cut into little squares
    3. put one in 100% acetone
    4. put one in 100% limonene (Citrasolv)
    5. wait, swirling occasionally
    I'll update after one becomes clean tissue paper.

Edit: Clear win for the acetone. Just fluffy paper left. With the limonene, still rigid composite. And neither, by the way, affected the polypropylene bottles that I used. And by the way, that limonene is evil stuff. Get it under your fingernails, and it hurts for hours :(

21. RockLobster

I think solvents strong enough to remove superglue would likely attack a plastic screen too.

22. bgoodman4

Boy, you guys are going around in circles. Here is an item from Loctite, a manufacturer of super glues (among other adhesives) on cleaning super glues

How to Remove Super Glue | Loctite Adhesives
    http://www.loctiteproducts.com/remove-super-glue.shtml
    Safely Removing Super Glue from Skin, Fabric and Surfaces.

And if you want the specialized product for dissolving super glues check here http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797919477761

You could also call Loctite tech support and describe the issue. They will advise what best to do. I would do this last before you do anything else.

23. Bill_Bright

It typically has acetone in it, but it has other components too, depending on brand, that are used to make it smell better, moisturize skin and more. I would not use nail polish remover.

And don't be silly or lured into the nonsense that Acetone is not toxic. If you don't believe the National Institutes of Health as noted in the link above, believe OSHA, the CDC, Acetone MSDS mfc.engr.arizona.edu/safety/MSDS%20FOLDER/Acetone.pdf.

24. bgoodman4

Neither would I, even the Loctite product says clearly to use in a well ventilated area. On the other hand its not like the products (either acetone or the specialized product) are going to be used in large quantities or for extended periods of time. I would use a twin-tip and after dipping in whatever solution being used gently rub at the super glue. This will give you control of the area being worked and will keep the exposure to the solvent to a minimum. I have been using the Loctite product for years (I am a jeweller) and I have not seen any ill effects but I do take a simple precaution in the form of a small fan to circulate the air.

25. Bill_Bright

True, but if you got your nose up to the screen so you can see and pinpoint your cleaning, and the saturated cotton swap is under your nose, you may get a concentrated dose.

And of course, not all people are created equal. Many with asthma or other respiratory issues, or those of diminutive size, could be seriously affected by much smaller doses than other individuals. And some are just more or less sensitive to such conditions than others.

IMVHO, considering this is a tech support site, the responsible thing to do when giving advice is to point out that Acetone is a hazardous, toxic chemical and therefore those dangers should not be haphazardly dismissed or downplayed.
    A very wise precaution. It sure would not take much air movement to create a safe environment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.